LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro

Project Car: 1968 Chevrolet Camaro 305cu engine w/350T Transmission
Donor Car: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 LS1

Originally mated the LS1 to the TH350 but the automatic, mono leaf suspension and 10 bolt had to go...
(update) So far... 98 LS1, T56, 12 Bolt, Homebuilt 4-link suspension (see page 7)

History behind the car.. was a barn stored project car that had set for years until
I fixed it my Senior year in High School, painted it flat black and drove it until I decided to do the LS1 swap.

After searching for months I found a 98' Z28 on Craigslist and bought the engine,
harness, PCM, electric fans, fuse panels all for $1500

The guys I met on Craigslist were really cool and helped me drop the motor at their garage which was only
about 30 mins from my house.

After 4 hours the engine came out fairly easy, we dropped the K-Member and lifted the Chassis off the engine.

Stopped at the gas station on the way home, couldn't believe I finally had the engine.

I work part time at Advance Auto Parts and really only have time to mess with the car when I'm off or after work.
I have been doing a bunch of research and plan on pulling the old motor soon and painting the engine bay and
figuring out my wiring/fuel routing.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Photobucket
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

sweet. Nice ride too! You have a pm by the way...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best of luck with your swap.
There's lots of help available here, on this site!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a friend who is selling his 69 camaro. It has a BB but he will keep everything I don't want or need for an lsx swap. Damn makes me wanna buy it. I had a 69 in high school and i regret selling it. Maybe ill join the 1st gen fbody crowd. Decisions decisions

What tranny you going with? How come u didn't get the one out of the fbody?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the first gen lsx club!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
I got a friend who is selling his 69 camaro. It has a BB but he will keep everything I don't want or need for an lsx swap. Damn makes me wanna buy it. I had a 69 in high school and i regret selling it. Maybe ill join the 1st gen fbody crowd. Decisions decisions

What tranny you going with? How come u didn't get the one out of the fbody?
Thanks everyone! I am probably going with a salvage yard 4l60E, The donor car was a 6 speed and the tranny went out so they parked it. I would love to go with a 6 speed but they cost too much $$$. But it's all up in the air, I'm saving for one now, not sure which route I'll end up going with. Got it on the engine stand today, making little progress each night after work.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

My suggestion is clean that motor up and paint what ever on the motor u want painted now while its out of the car!!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Off work today so that gave me a bunch of time to sort things out and get some stuff done.
Done a few odd & end stuff like take my AC Compressor and secondary tensioner assembly off.

Next, I started on my accessory brackets on the front.
Took the thermostat housing neck, idler/alternator bracket off, sandblasted it and coated it with Rustoleum Gray.
I bent welding rods to hold the parts up while they dried after paint.

Here's the engine so far... right after I took the wiring harness off, ready to dig in.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Photobucket
Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

I've been doing some research and seen were people have used to the old school transmissions, bought a spacer from summitt and bolted the old transmission to the LS Block. Has anyone done this? My question is which mods would have to do to adapt the TH350 to the LS1, with a stall converter. I haven't bought my flex plate yet, should I go with a stock LS1 Flexplate?
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Haven't posted anything in a few days been busy with work and the motor. I get a couple days off next week so maybe I can pull the motor in the old car. Been mainly focusing on getting the LS1 ready. Sandblasted and painted brackets, new alternator, belt, valve cover gaskets, Iridium Delco plugs, rear main seal, MSD Plug wires, ordered a lot of stuff from Summit. Next is taking the oil pan off, notching it and getting a starter & my motor mounts somewhere.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Photobucket
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Update: Been messing with the motor off and on for a few days and finally got my engine block dowel pins from Summit and cover. With the cover I started by taking the oil pan off. To anyone that hasn't done this yet the oil pan gasket is factory pop-rivetted to the pan so you will have to drill it out.

Industrial Degreaser.

Notched the oil pan.

Got the idea from another forum, Summit sells these engine bags they work really great if you are leaving your oil pan off for a couple days. $5

Next, I started with the engine mount adapter plates. I know Summit sells them but they're $45 plus shipping. I found a diagram on here and cut, drilled, sandblasted them out of scrap 1/4" steel. It's not what you can buy it's what you can build.

Here's the diagram I used if anyone else is looking for it, took me a while to find one this nice. I made my holes 7/16 instead of 9/16. I do not own this diagram, I just used it for a reference. I found it on frojoe's 5.3 Nova build thread. Give him credit

Unfinished sandblasted product still needs counter sinking. Going to coated them with truck bed coating tonight and let them dry.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: photobucket
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good! Best of luck with the swap, keep up the progress on this. I am working on an LS1/T56 swap on my 67 camaro. I continue to learn a TON from this forum. Feel free to ask any questions along the way. Subscribed...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MisterD
Looking good! Best of luck with the swap, keep up the progress on this. I am working on an LS1/T56 swap on my 67 camaro. I continue to learn a TON from this forum. Feel free to ask any questions along the way. Subscribed...
Thanks! I appreciate the support. These old cars aren't cheap but in the end I know it will definitely be worth it.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good,u using the baffle with that modified oil pan??
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work and thanks for sharing all the details!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Looking good,u using the baffle with that modified oil pan??
Thanks everyone, I used the factory baffle, just measured how far back it needed to be cut from the modded wall on the oil pan, took a sharpie and cutoff wheel and went to town.

My Torque wrench turned out to be junk so I broke and oil pan bolt off back by the rear main, Took me forever to get it out with two picks but it's a lesson learned. A buddy of mine had a 6.0 tore down in his garage and let me have the bolts I needed, this time I cleaned the threads and paid closer attention to my torque wrench.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Last but not least one more before picture of the car before I get started on it. Beside my S10 Xtreme.

We are pouring the concrete in my new garage this coming up weekend, so as soon as I get some lights up I'll have some more room to work. Pretty excited.

Last edited by BlackLS1Camaro; 08-04-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: photobucket
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Camaro
Thanks everyone, I used the factory baffle, just measured how far back it needed to be cut from the modded wall on the oil pan, took a sharpie and cutoff wheel and went to town.

My Torque wrench turned out to be junk so I broke and oil pan bolt off back by the rear main, Took me forever to get it out with two picks but it's a lesson learned. A buddy of mine had a 6.0 tore down in his garage and let me have the bolts I needed, this time I cleaned the threads and paid closer attention to my torque wrench.
Great !!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Wondering how the truck bed coating will hold up to engine/header heat? some of the coatings say to keep them away from heat or they can catch on fire. Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the oil pan did you remove 1 inch? I seen where you cut the baffle down, but how about the pickup tube did you have to modify it?

Quick Reply: LS1 Swapped 68' Camaro