Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found resistor on the floor. Did it come from my harness? Where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Found resistor on the floor. Did it come from my harness? Where?

Ok. Fired the car up for the first time about 11:30 last night (no mufflers, You're welcome a-hole neighbor next door!). Anyway, I'm cleaning up this morning and found the resistor in the pic below on the floorboard.

Any of you harness gurus know where this might have come from? I don't recall ever seeing it during installation.
Attached Thumbnails Found resistor on the floor.  Did it come from my harness?  Where?-resistor.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tach maybe? It looks like something I used on mine
Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It kind of looks like a 'pull up' resistor for a tach, but if you didn't put one in it, it probably isn't.

And how did you know I have an a-hole neighbor? I doubt she heard you start your car, but thanks anyway!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
It kind of looks like a 'pull up' resistor for a tach, but if you didn't put one in it, it probably isn't.

And how did you know I have an a-hole neighbor? I doubt she heard you start your car, but thanks anyway!
I guess everyone has one! The cool neighbors came over for the "grand event". The others got a little payback.

I e-mailed the harness builder (his only method of contact) but it usually takes a full day to get a response from him. I didn't put that in but it had to have come from the harness. I just don't know where or how it suddenly appeared on the floorboard this morning. Never seen it before.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see where a 6.9k resistor would have any place in the harness.

Even if it did that sure as heck isn't the way to put a resistor in-line!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't recall any Resistors that would have that type terminal on it on either of my Harnesses.. for grounding or to connect to a power block ??

6.9k would not be for the Alternator activator... that would be out....

???

BC
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time a harness would need a resistor would be for alternator activation on any vehicle that does not use the pcm to excite the alternator or for a led bulb to keep it from glowing dimly constantly.

As stated before

1. That is def. NOT the way you put a resistor in line.
2. That resistor is too large for either application.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the car has gone through multiple owners then it could be anything. Might have been lodged behind a vent for years. If had to guess maybe a tach resistor. It is pretty common need to a 10-15 kohm resistor in line with the tach signal to keep the tach from jumping around when using an older tach with an HEI ignition.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 10-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Harness builder confirmed it's not something of his. Who knows, who cares? Car is running fine. Must've come from something else.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If the car has gone through multiple owners then it could be anything. Might have been lodged behind a vent for years. If had to guess maybe a tach resistor. It is pretty common need to a 10-15 kohm resistor in line with the tach signal to keep the tach from jumping around when using an older tach with an HEI ignition.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! After determining it to be a 6800 ohm resistor, I figured it was worth a try in getting my Classic Instruments tach to work. Installed the fork under 12v supply at the gauge and spliced the other end into the ECM tach signal wire and "Voila!" Gauge appears to work properly.

I'm guessing it was in the Classic Instruments gauge box and fell out at some point. I bought the gauges used (installed but never run) and my guess is that the previous owner stuck it in the bottom of the original box.

Quick Reply: Found resistor on the floor. Did it come from my harness? Where?