LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam swap and my problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam swap and my problems

i just finished putting a hot cam with 1.6 roller rockers and lt4 springs. I'm getting lower oil pressure than usual and i'm getting a squeak from the drivers side. Its not lifter noise or atleast it doesnt sound like the noise I had before the cam swap because I had two bad lifters. I replaced all lifters and pushrods also. The squeak started and quit and came back after I ran it down the road and put my foot into it a bit. Any ideas...

My other problem occured before the swap and seems worse now.

The car would spit and sputter every now and then but when Id get off the throttle and get back in it, it would be fine. Also sitting still in park I can rev the engine to 2k and let off the gas and the car will try to go dead but I can pat the gas and it will recover and go back to idling fine at around 1100.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Is it tuned, check for vacuum leaks? And check belt and pullies for alignment.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I havent had it tuned but for some odd reason after removing the egr and air pump( plugging holes of course) I didn't get any codes. The car may of been tuned before ....
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't run ANY aftermarket cam without a tune and expect it to run correctly. I'm running a Madtuner mail tune with my hotcam and the engine runs great.
Pull the serpentine belt off and see if it still squeaks. How low is your oil pressure?

Last edited by guppymech; 10-08-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A squeak accompanied by low oil pressure occasionally means a spun bearing.

How did you have two bad lifters? What happened to them?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Do you have NSA rockers/guideplates? A squeak can also be from insufficient oil flow to the guide plates to lubricate the pushrods, which could also be from a lack of oil pressure from a spun bearing. It's a common issue to spin a bearing with a cam install. It has absolutely nothing to do with how old or how many miles could be on the bearings. It has to do with how clean and careful an install went. As already asked, how do you know you had two bad lifters?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Teching In

One lifter had a flat spot and the other had a rough spot. The corresponding cam lobes had significant damage as well. The squeak is intermitnet. It's not there this morning. I'm thinking the stalling after revving has something to do with the tps or iac as that problem existed before the cam swap. Oil pressure is 40psi on cold start and hovers 18-22 after warming up and increases with throttle.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Village Troll

If you're talking idle speeds then that's normal. You didn't answer whether or not you have guideplates. If you do and if squeak comes back, take the valve covers off and pour some oil onto the guideplates. Start engine and see if squeak is gone.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Teching In

no guide plates, I went with self aligning rockers. the squeak is gone, maybe something wasnt getting oil and it finally did and quit. It didn't squeak long. Figured out the idle problem. I relearned the TPS and it worked all day today. On a side note getting air out of the radiator is a pain on the lt1. oil pressure is still a mystery. Gonna check the sending unit and see if it may need replacing.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Crazyace85
On a side note getting air out of the radiator is a pain on the lt1. oil pressure is still a mystery. Gonna check the sending unit and see if it may need replacing.
LT1's are a lot easier to bleed than a LSx. Those bleeder screws are your friend. Reason why most have problems with air pockets is because the bleeder screws are not open when pouring coolant into the radiator. Doing that alone, while the car is on a flat surface takes care of almost all trapped air.
I don't understand what you mean about your oil pressure being a mystery? Are you saying 40 cold and 18-22 warm is not idle speed? If not then yes, you most likely do have a larger problem. Instead of a new sender, get a mechanical gauge and confirm using the port just above the oil filter.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

18-22 is at idle.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Good. I drove it a lot today and everything seemed sound. All I need now is a tune. I'm guessing the car has a tune on it already because no codes popped for eye or air pump which is odd since they were in place until I removed them.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Crazyace85
Good. I drove it a lot today and everything seemed sound. All I need now is a tune. I'm guessing the car has a tune on it already because no codes popped for eye or air pump which is odd since they were in place until I removed them.
Kind of like my situation. Ed Wright tuned my PCM and it doesn't matter if I have a legit code or not, I have not seen the SES light since 1997.

Quick Reply: cam swap and my problems