Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking from back of engine (passenger side)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leaking from back of engine (passenger side)

Coolant is leaking from the back of the engine (at the firewall) passenger side. I googled it and read that there are freeze plugs. Is it coming from there? And how do I fix it?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
9 Second Club

Wink

If it is a small leak you can try barsleak or something like it. We use BG products and it works really well.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

I would get it on a rack and get a good look at the frost plugs to be sure that's what is leaking. While you're under there have a good look at the water pump and make sure coolant isn't leaking from the pump and and traveling down the front of the block to the block/oil pan mating area and running to the back of the engine. Another area to check, though I haven't seen one do it yet, is the coolant crossover pipe/plug on the rear passenger head.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot! The car is now sucking air from that leak and overheating. No its not the pump, I put my hand behind the engine top side and could feel coolant. There is no space to really look behind the engine.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rear coolant crossover gasket is leaking.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

I love this site, real experts here!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by umair
Coolant is leaking from the back of the engine (at the firewall) passenger side. I googled it and read that there are freeze plugs. Is it coming from there? And how do I fix it?
My engine leaked (actually a small drip, but still aggravating) from the exact same spot on it's initial fire-up. After not being able to find the leak, I added a few GM coolant tabs and it quit.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

I was going to the city and at the checkpoint the officer heard my engine and stopped me. He then pressed the pedal and checked if its modifed engine or not. Then he checked rims. Then he let me go. I don't have any mods, just stock. I am outside usa. In usa do they fine you for any mods?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to the city and at the checkpoint the officer heard my engine and stopped me. He then pressed the pedal and checked if its modifed engine or not. Then he checked rims. Then he let me go. I don't have any mods, just stock. I am outside usa. In usa do they fine you for any mods?
Damn that's harsh! Where are you from?
We have to pass emissions in most places every year or two and safety inspection to make sure the vehicel is road worthy, but nothing like what you have. Here you can get pulled over and get a small fine/repair order if your exhaust is too loud, visually unsafe, extremely low or jacked up but most of the time cops don't bother us unless we are doing something stupid to get pulled over in the first place.

I've blown strait through our emissions test here with strait pipe, longtube headers, no o2 sensors and no cats on my big cam stroker lol
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Today I noticed the leak has minimized. before it was a small stream coming out (rear crossover gasket) but now small drips of water. I have put distilled water in my car, as I am in middle east. The water has gotten dirty. Shoould I put coolant, will it stop the leak? Or should I put "STOP LEAK". Even better, change the rear crossover gasket? Do I have to remove the head to change that or just top cover? If just the top cover I will change the gasket. Also we do not get concentrate of dexcool here, just predilluted available. The problem is when I drain the car, only half water comes out and half is in the system. Will it be ok if I put half predilluted dexcool and half water (already in car). I just want anti-rust, no anti freeze. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Today I noticed the leak has minimized. before it was a small stream coming out (rear crossover gasket) but now small drips of water. I have put distilled water in my car, as I am in middle east. The water has gotten dirty. Shoould I put coolant, will it stop the leak? Or should I put "STOP LEAK". Even better, change the rear crossover gasket? Do I have to remove the head to change that or just top cover? If just the top cover I will change the gasket. Also we do not get concentrate of dexcool here, just predilluted available. The problem is when I drain the car, only half water comes out and half is in the system. Will it be ok if I put half predilluted dexcool and half water (already in car). I just want anti-rust, no anti freeze. Thanks for your time.
No its under the intake
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

By dirty wat do youmean like oil mixing with it?

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking from back of engine (passenger side)