Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 z28 high mount running light not working/ but brake light works??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 z28 high mount running light not working/ but brake light works??

Just installed the aftermarket ss spoiler with the 3rd brake light led strip. Spliced wires in and everything, brake light works but they wont come on with the running lights. I didn't add the resistor in but my brake light didnt come on on the dash so I'm guessing this led strip has a good amount of resistance to it.

I also installed HIDs and was trying to unhook the daytime running light module, to keep the flickering to stop at start up. I would think maybe i messed up the drl module but the brake light portion of the led strip still works.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unless your aftermarket spoiler is different from all other high mounted brake lights (except for some Gold Wing motorcycles), the brake light should only illuminate with the brakes and never with the running lights. In fact, I think it might violate federal DOT regulations if it did light up with the running lights.

The resistor is necessary to keep your cruise control working but shouldn't affect any other function.

There have been countless threads about disabling the automatic headlight function (for your HIDs) and unplugging the DRL module IS NOT a good way to do it. The simple way is to splice the light sensor wires together using a ScotchLock connector.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i feel like an idiot for asking this question. Realized it on way to work seeing all the other cars on the road and their 3rd brake lights lol. My cruise still works, didn't need to add resistor. Maybe the spoiler company changed some things around and got the resistance closer with the led strips.

I read on ls1lt1 site someone just unplugged the blue connector and that turned off the drls. As of right now im going to just leave it be.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

DRLs and automatic headlights are two completely different things. DRLs have nothing to do with your headlights and will not affect the HIDs in any way so disabling them doesn't help.

However, unplugging the connector at the DRL module has unnecessary side effects such as the brake light in the instrument panel not working - you've already seen that. Also, if you have a manual transmission you won't be able to pop your hatch with the dash button.

Quick Reply: 98 z28 high mount running light not working/ but brake light works??