Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to siphon trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Best way to siphon trans fluid

I noticed my trans fluid has a dark tint to it, burnt but not black. To my knowledge it hasn't ever been changed. Shifts Normal but id like to change it for peace of mind. I've never done it before and I know there's no drain plug which sucks. I don't really want the fluid to poor out while I'm doing it so I've been looking into ways to siphon most if not all from the pan. I'm just replacing what's in the pan not a complete flush. I found a .5" pump from autosone for like 3bucks but idk how well that'll do. Any ideas? I'd love it if I could get itall and just refill with fresh fluid but I'll probably just drop Pan empty to change filter

What fluid and I think 4-6qts should do it.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just drop the pan and change the filter like you said then fill it back up with any dex 3.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

You can add a drain plug with the pan off so that it's not a problem next time.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Launching!

I guess illget that pump and try to get out as much as I can then remove the pan. Ive never done it before so it shoul be fun.

I found a plug kit on summit for like 8 bucks. Doesn't tell how to install but all I have a cordless drill and the 1/2 bit to make the whole. Is that all ill need? Does it just tighten itself into place?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Im thinkin I may just drill the hole to drain the fluid first then remove the pan. Where should I drill so it doesn't hit anything?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Pull the line off of the radiator pumping from the tranny, squeeze appropriate hose over end and into a gallon capacity container. Start motor and let idle till fluid starts to sputter and turn off immediately. Refill to appropriate level. I did this to my Ford Ranger(don't tell anyone, daily driver) that has 400k on the clock and has apparently worked out ok. I would assume our GM product would be ok using the same method. As a side note, I DID change the filter periodically for good measure and was showing normal wear and fluid was perfect color and smell. Don't know if this contributed to longevity or not. I do still pull a boat trailer and and others within a reasonable weight limit.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies guys. Think I may just buy this pan and not worrying about drilling and messing something up. Gonna try to siphon most then remove Pan and replace filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130765177958...ct=mobile#shId
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a large catch pan, crack the trans fluid pan from a rear corner and let it come out slowly, then remove the rest of the bolts remove the pan and swap the filter, wipe the edges, replace the gasket, and snug the bolts up. Be sure not to overtighten them and get them torqued evenly, do this and it won't leak.

It's really not much more involved than an oil change, just more bolts to remove.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EricTheCarGuy on youtube did a video on a Chevy truck, he droped the lower side of the pan so that the fluid comes out of a located spot, just choose a corner and remove a few molts from around the corner, and loosen a few up the way, i recomened finding a shim/screwdriver that you can get between the pan and the trans to break the gasket, i dont ever recomened reusing a used gasket..

Its kinda of long but i got alot of good information on this!

Quick Reply: Best way to siphon trans fluid