Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1LE SUSPENSION QUESTION/PROBLEM.... Please.....?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1LE SUSPENSION QUESTION/PROBLEM.... Please.....?

Hello All,

7 days ago, I bought a 2001 Camaro SS with 19,000 original miles on it. It has almost every Y2Y option, and is one if the Eighty 2001 Camaro SS' that have the 1LE Suspension option. For those not too familiar, part of the package are 4 3-Way adjustable Koni Struts/Shocks. The car came with a suspension adjustment tool and a pamphlet with pictures showing how to use it. The pictures and instructions show that adjustments are made under the hood by placing the adjustment tool (****) over the top these supposed "Front Dampers", and turning the **** to one of the 3 desired Dampening Force settings(City Ride, Cross Country, or G.T./Aggressive Driving). The adjustment ****/tool is supposed to fit over a protruding oblong piece of metal that locks into the tool so it can be turned. The areas under the hood look to be exactly where you would bolt on a Strut Tower Brace.

Well, I am unable to find anything under the hood that even comes close to what is shown in the pictures. FYI...I know the 2001 SS very well, as I had one from 2001 when I bought one new, until 8/31/12 (About 11 years) when I accidentally drove it off a cliff on Skyline Drive in Virginia. Yes, my seat belt saved my life but not that of my SS.

Although I have not had the car on a lift yet, I do see what looks like some sort of adjustment disc/**** at the base of both struts and both shocks. They look a little rusted, but seem to have some sort of lettering on them that I cannot make out. I did verify that all 4 of them have the "Koni" logo on them. But, due to the design of these ***** at the base of the shocks (No protruding oblong piece of metal), the supplied suspension adjustment tool would definitely not fit over these to adjust them. I am sure I will get a better idea once I get a closer look at the base of the shocks and struts when I get it up on a lift.

If anyone out there has any experience with the 1LE suspension, please help me understand if I am missing something, if there is really something wrong with the supplied 1LE suspension adjustment documentation, and possibly how to adjust the shocks. Thanks so much to anyone who can help me with this issue.

Tom

PS...If anyone who reads this post has a 2001-2002 1LE Camaro SS, I would really love to talk to you. Please PM me.

Last edited by MustangMuncher; 10-11-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

usually, with Koni's, you use the **** on the rear shocks. you have to lift up the carpet and pull out the foam filler and the top of the shock is right there and you can put the **** on it to adjust. the fronts usually if you look between your springs at the top of the shock there should be little holes. you can put a allen wrench in there and "sweep" it left of right for more/less. hopefully that helps some. I know if you go to the koni website it has instructions also.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Undertow. I will check out the Koni Web Site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1LE SUSPENSION QUESTION/PROBLEM.... Please.....?