LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sorting out minor issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorting out minor issues

I've owned my 95 Firehawk for a few months now, but have some minor issues that need sorting out.

Issue number one is the alarm. Currently, the vehicle is equipped with a Clifford alarm system that was installed by the original owner. I will have to look through the paperwork I got with the car (oh there's a lot of it...) to see when this thing was put in, but I get the feeling it was over a decade ago. The problem I have with it is that EVERYTHING SETS IT OFF. Every Tuesday and Wednesday morning when the mafia, er, waste management comes by to get everyone's garbage and recyclables, the low droning of their rigs exhaust sets the stupid thing off. If you barely bump into the car, it trips the alarm. One of the faubs (spelling?) is broken, so the "arm/lock" key is always down, draining the battery in days. In short, I hate the alarm and would rather go back to a factory one. Is this feasible, and what costs would I be looking at? I'd rather not get another after-market system to replace this one.

Issue number two is my fuel economy. The issue is simple: I have no fuel economy to speak of. I stay out of it, use skip shifting (not the dumb-as-all-hell factory one), and get the same mileage if I drive like a maniac: a whopping 12mpg. The car runs great and is a blast to drive, it has plenty of power, but my dad's last f-body (an '02 SS with nearly every SLP option) got an average of 17-18. Yeah I know I am comparing an LS1 to an LT1, but this still doesn't make sense, even with it being a performance car (his '87 GN that runs high 11's gets better mileage!).

All that aside, the car is in very good shape and I like it. A lot. Suggestions? Remedies? Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

The easiers thing with the alarm would be to disconnect it. Cut the wires or pull out the horn. Before I got a garage I used the club to protect my car from theft.
As far as gas milage, get a tune-up. Change the fuel filter, air filter, and maybe plugs and wires and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The air filter was done this summer, and the plugs and wires are still good as far as I can tell. Until I bought it, the car was a toy sitting in the previous owner's garage most of the year. Oil was changed two weeks ago, so unless the fuel filter is clogged this thing just has a drinking problem.

As for the alarm, I would've clipped the wires on my '00 Z28 to remedy its alarm problem, but that car was a pile that I ended up (luckily) selling. Any ideas on going back to a stock alarm?

Quick Reply: Sorting out minor issues