Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein slp's Bmr springs and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bilstein slp's Bmr springs and what else?

I was thinking of gettig new top mounts. The only thing I can get by tomorrow is the kyb mounts.

Do I just reuse all my other stock parts? Dust boots, bump stops, lower mounts?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new shocks should have new dust covers. Mine were blue. Keep track of the little rubber pieces that go between the body and the shocks though. I lost one of mine when I installed everything and I had a loose shock in the rear that rattled up a storm.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking the fronts didnt have dust boots?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the front shocks come with dust boots; you could use the stock ones if they don't get chewed up taking the original shocks out, or just not run the dust boots.

When I was swapping rear shocks and springs, I whacked one of the bump stops with a ratchet accidentally and wound up with a pile of black dust on the floor - both were completely dry-rotted out. Energy has a "generic" axle bump stop for Jeeps that'll work well enough on f-bodies, p/n 9.9137G.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

My bad, the fronts don't. I was talking about the rears. You will need to reuse your spring holder things. I don't know the real name, but they're the black that the spring actually sits on around the shock. My billsteins didn't come with their own so I had to beat my stock ones onto them.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lusting4ls1
I was thinking of gettig new top mounts. The only thing I can get by tomorrow is the kyb mounts.

Do I just reuse all my other stock parts? Dust boots, bump stops, lower mounts?
I normally use the Moog strut mounts but you shouldn't have any issues using the KYB strut mounts. If you do get new strut mounts make sure you reuse the strut bearing plate insulator that sits on the top side of the mount. On the fronts you will need to reuse the lower spring perches and the sping isolator that the spring sits on. You should be able to use the factory dust boot if you wanted but many people don't and they don't have any issues.

When you get everything installed post some pictures so we can check out the new stance of your vehicle.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will do. Fedex is running behind, so it might be next week :-( my front bumper and hood are currently off, but I can get a side stance view. I think the car will lookd great since its sitting on torque thrust 2's
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Not tryin to steal the thread, but do I have to use the bumpstop and bumpstop hat from the old shock for installing the fronts? I read somewhere that the bilsteins have an internal bumpstop, is this true?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

What's the advantage of replacing the front strut mounts? Never done that when replacing front struts on any of my F-Bodies.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QWKT/A
What's the advantage of replacing the front strut mounts? Never done that when replacing front struts on any of my F-Bodies.
The nut on top of the shock will be rusted and will most likely have to be cut off. Also the mounts themselves will probably fall apart as soon as you take them off. It's easier to buy new ones instead of fighting with the old ones.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ability to yank the whole disgusting rusted mess out of the car, send some inappropriate and inarticulate grunts of rage at it, and then throw it in the trash (or, run it over with a big forklift).
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Haha gotcha. Guess I just got lucky with my first set!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Haha gotcha. Guess I just got lucky with my first set!
You definitely got lucky. There is nothing like being excited to install some new lowering springs and shocks only to find out that the factory front shock nut is rusted beyond recognition and you realizing that you have an extra couple hours of work ahead of you to get it off so you can reuse the strut mounts.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well got the rears installed last night and the car is the perfect height in the rear. Its already got some kind of lowering springs up front, so it actually looks pretty good. Gonna install the fronts this coming up week and post pics.

On a side note, I got the kyb shock mounts in today and they have gm-6934 & gm-6933 stamped on them
Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by lusting4ls1
Well got the rears installed last night and the car is the perfect height in the rear. Its already got some kind of lowering springs up front, so it actually looks pretty good. Gonna install the fronts this coming up week and post pics.

On a side note, I got the kyb shock mounts in today and they have gm-6934 & gm-6933 stamped on them
The installation of the rear stuff definitely isn't too bad. Hopefully when you get the front shocks down they won't be too rusty so the install won't be that big of a pain.

I looked it up those are the part numbers for the KYB strut mounts for the 4th gen f-bodies so you should have everything you need. If there is anything else we can help you out with let us know.

Quick Reply: Bilstein slp's Bmr springs and what else?