Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil pump pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil pump pressure?

hey guys what about oil pressure in a high perfomance engine (lsx 440 ci) should it be high or just not that high, is high pressure consuming engine's hp? i got brand-new oil pump (melling high voulme) and just don't know if going with high pressure spring or change it for the lower one. what do you say?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High pressure is fine, with the high volume pumps you gotta watch it doesnt suck your pan dry
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to look at the oiling system.

A good pump is needed to make it live a long happy life. Then the pan becomes a issue. A stock f body pan pick up is bad.

I prefer to run a HV pump from the Car Shop Inc. These pumps have a few things done to them that eliminate volume issues.
Then the pan needs to be looked at. the pick up loction needs to be correct along with the screen most are to restrictive.

Here is a screen shot of my oil pressure in a run. The high pressure is not a issue and the engine has been very happy like this. Few of car shops other customers have several 100 passes with the same set up and no engine issues

Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
You need to look at the oiling system.

A good pump is needed to make it live a long happy life. Then the pan becomes a issue. A stock f body pan pick up is bad.

I prefer to run a HV pump from the Car Shop Inc. These pumps have a few things done to them that eliminate volume issues.
Then the pan needs to be looked at. the pick up loction needs to be correct along with the screen most are to restrictive.

Here is a screen shot of my oil pressure in a run. The high pressure is not a issue and the engine has been very happy like this. Few of car shops other customers have several 100 passes with the same set up and no engine issues

wow! your oil pressure reached 120+ psi, isn't that bad for oil filter? i heard high pressures drain some hp.. so your engine is running good with high pressures, well it is safe at least i suppost...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a good Wix R filter that will handle the pressure.
The crank turns the pump so it is not that much of a power issue.

These engines need oil volume to get this the pressure has to go up. Only way around this is dry sump$$$$$

Granted if I could get the volume and oil where I need it with less pressure it would make more power but what 10-15 hp is not worth it when it is burnt up.

Tim
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, now im in fact considering to put in a little coin in order to get more pressure, what do you think?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Teching In

yes you cna put in a new coin it will help a lot to you and will also increse the pressure and having hp will be just fine for you

Quick Reply: oil pump pressure?