LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Suggestions for minor issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for minor issues?

I've had my '95 Firehawk for a few months, and its been great. Love the car. However, it has two small issues that need sorting out.

Issue number one is the alarm. The car currently has an aftermarket Clifford alarm system in it. I don't know how old it is (I will have to check the paperwork and receipts I got when I bought the car, and there is A LOT...), but I get the feeling it was probably installed by the original owner well over a decade ago. The alarm sucks. EVERYTHING SETS IT OFF. Garbage trucks, my brother's obnoxious SRT-4 with its chambered exhaust, even lightly tapping on the body will do it! I want to get a factory alarm back in it, but don't know if this is feasible, or what costs I would be looking at. I really don't want, nor need a different aftermarket system.

Issue number two is my fuel economy. Or lack thereof. I drive it nice and easy, stay out of it, use skip shifting (not the Godforsaken factory one), and get the same mileage as I get if I drive with a somewhat heavy foot: a whopping 12mpg. Am I crazy or is this really what I can expect for mileage no matter what? My parents have both had LS1 f-bodies that got between 16-20mpg (I know I am referencing two cars that have LS1's while I have a lightly tuned LT1). My car is all original except for a 3" Borla exhaust (cat-back). My tires are fairly worn, but still have a few more months left in them.

Those two issues aside, I have been thoroughly enjoying the car. Suggestions? Advice? Input of any kind is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for minor issues?