Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blower motor with F-3R-130

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor with F-3R-130

I am looking to build a new motor and use a Procharger F-3R-130 blower. Are blowers friendly to longer stroke motors and do they usually spin the RPM's above 8,000 or is that all in the cam specs? Thank you.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy geez, F3R? That is going to need a serious motor behind it to take advantage of it.

Not sure what you mean by your post, but I imagine Aluminum rods and a stout block are on your horizon. You probably don't need super long stroke as a longer stroke makes for a weaker crank.

I'm sure lots of vendors on here will spec you out a cam, but you need to concentrate more on shortblock strength than cam specs with that magnitude of forced induction.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

I will be working with Martin at Tick for the cam spec's. I am a nitrous guy and am now building a Outlaw Drag Radial car and want to dominate the class and the only way I can see doing that with a LS motor is putting a F-3R blower on it. I will not go turbo, that is not an option for me. I will be looking at a 454 motor using a 4.250 stroke. I know I will need a set of good Aluminum rods. I am hoping for about 2600whp for the motor blower combination.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by josh2002-ws6
I am looking to build a new motor and use a Procharger F-3R-130 blower. Are blowers friendly to longer stroke motors and do they usually spin the RPM's above 8,000 or is that all in the cam specs? Thank you.
ERL is building a motor for me that you should should prob call and talk to them about. I'm doing this very thing.

Originally Posted by killernoodle
Holy geez, F3R? That is going to need a serious motor behind it to take advantage of it.

Not sure what you mean by your post, but I imagine Aluminum rods and a stout block are on your horizon. You probably don't need super long stroke as a longer stroke makes for a weaker crank.

I'm sure lots of vendors on here will spec you out a cam, but you need to concentrate more on shortblock strength than cam specs with that magnitude of forced induction.
I wouldn't want a real long stroke either. It also makes for a stronger piston to go smaller.

I will be working with Martin at Tick for the cam spec's. I am a nitrous guy and am now building a Outlaw Drag Radial car and want to dominate the class and the only way I can see doing that with a LS motor is putting a F-3R blower on it. I will not go turbo, that is not an option for me. I will be looking at a 454 motor using a 4.250 stroke. I know I will need a set of good Aluminum rods. I am hoping for about 2600whp for the motor blower combination.
Callies ultra rods in mine with their billet crank.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Launching!

How fast are you wanting to go to dominate odr? Frank Soldridge just ran 4.29@185. Good luck man
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

I currently already have a World Warhawk tall deck block with Callies billet 4.250 crank and billet 6.460 H-beam rods. I got this block with a set of nitrous pistons with the intent to build another nitrous motor, but If I swap to a blower I planned on getting a nice set of GRP aluminum rods and new dished pistons. Do you think the 4.250 stroke with a 4.125 piston is too much? What is the least amount of piston crown recommended for a blower motor? Thank you.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
How fast are you wanting to go to dominate odr? Frank Soldridge just ran 4.29@185. Good luck man

I am hoping to go 4 teens.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Wow! What heads are you running on it? The tall deck block changes things. That is still a looong stroke to be turning 8,000+ rpms. Piston speed will be un-real.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Wow! What heads are you running on it? The tall deck block changes things. That is still a looong stroke to be turning 8,000+ rpms. Piston speed will be un-real.
I was looking at All Pro's when I was going to build the block into a nitrous motor. I think I will still go with All Pro's for the blower setup to unless you have a better idea. I was told by someone who builds these Warhawk blocks that I will not have any clearance issues with the longer stroke in reference to the stock cam location.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

I'm running All Pro -2s on mine. The biggest thing I'd be worried about with that long stroke is keeping it together long enough to win a race. Murder on parts spinning a motor like that, that hard but if you have the money to freshen it up regularly, I'd love to see you do it.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

I am willing to switch out stuff in the motor to make this a more efficient setup and make the best power. I will have to wait 6 to 8 months for my chassis to be finished by MWC anyways. No rush. I can sell what I have to get a better block and rotating assembly. I was going to be using the -2's also with the 310cc intake and 116cc exhaust runners. If I go to a blower I will most likely switch to the 330cc intake program that they have with the smaller 47cc combustion chamber

I was told by Richard at WCCH, who I was working with on the heads that the 6th bolt whole per cylinder wouldn't work anyways with the Warhawk block because of there design and the lifter tray location. That makes me want to switch to a different block like the RHS or LSX so I get the full clamping force of all 6 head bolts per cylinder.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ERL has a 434 cid shortblock with 6 head bolts, shortier stroke 4.155 bore w/a 4 inch stroke, AES/ERL has a 410 shortblock 4.13 bore w/3.825 stroke.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

I was looking at the tall deck LSX block and going with a 4.125 stroke crank with 6.460 rods and 4.155 pistons. That would give me 447ci and I would have a piston height of 1.1975 at zero deck.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

B'o don't let me rain on yer parade but I thought cranks longer than 4 and boost didn't mix.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N2OBaby
B'o don't let me rain on yer parade but I thought cranks longer than 4 and boost didn't mix.
I'm not sure, I was trying to get some info on that in the thread. Anyone with that info wanna share there wisdom with us?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Launching!

I really dont believe that the ls platform will be the best to run that hard in odr. It will have problems keeping the heads down and staying together long enough to run with the big dawgs. You may seriously want to look into a different platform because you will need to shoot for more than your stated 2600 to run teens. Good luck either way though. I love watching other people build these crazy cars!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

I was looking at the tall deck LSX block and going with a 4.125 stroke crank with 6.460 rods and 4.155 pistons. That would give me 447ci and I would have a piston height of 1.1975 at zero deck.
Just run a standard deck block, there is no need to go with major cubes on a motor like this. Its not like a turbo where extra cubes spools it faster. 427CI will be plenty.

I am willing to switch out stuff in the motor to make this a more efficient setup and make the best power. I will have to wait 6 to 8 months for my chassis to be finished by MWC anyways. No rush. I can sell what I have to get a better block and rotating assembly. I was going to be using the -2's also with the 310cc intake and 116cc exhaust runners. If I go to a blower I will most likely switch to the 330cc intake program that they have with the smaller 47cc combustion chamber

I was told by Richard at WCCH, who I was working with on the heads that the 6th bolt whole per cylinder wouldn't work anyways with the Warhawk block because of there design and the lifter tray location. That makes me want to switch to a different block like the RHS or LSX so I get the full clamping force of all 6 head bolts per cylinder.
RHS has had some problems recently, and the LSX has had them in the past. If you're going all out run a Dart Billet Block, or an ERL Block. I got quoted ~15K for a ERL 427 with all the bells and whistles.

Originally Posted by N2OBaby
ERL has a 434 cid shortblock with 6 head bolts, shortier stroke 4.155 bore w/a 4 inch stroke, AES/ERL has a 410 shortblock 4.13 bore w/3.825 stroke.
Or even the 434, its not that many more cubes so I don't see how it matters.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Running Alcohol or race gas? "Outlaw" varies a lot.
You will need a good set-up and a CCW billet crank to handle the 4.25 stroke and the HP near 3K you'll be needing to go 4-teens. Anything else is going to flex and wipe bearings unless you run them very loose.
Probably most of what you have will need to be sold and re-start with new components. Some warhawk blocks have an odd head bolt pattern/arrangement that only fits their head. That's probably what Richard was talking about. Are the interior 6th bolts in the lifter bay tapped down by the lifters or are there bosses with thru bolts? The stroke and aluminum rods could be an issue due to that block having an extra oil galley that gets in the way.
Actually FI likes long strokes, but there are issues to deal with that are particular to the LS at that level. If you're serious you can PM me, but talk to someone before you buy parts.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
I really dont believe that the ls platform will be the best to run that hard in odr. It will have problems keeping the heads down and staying together long enough to run with the big dawgs. You may seriously want to look into a different platform because you will need to shoot for more than your stated 2600 to run teens. Good luck either way though. I love watching other people build these crazy cars!
4.1x's will be a long shot for sure. I would do a BBC if that is your goal. Now if he means the LSX Challenge Series Outlaw Drag Radial, I think he will be fine.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Josh when you return from the sandbox I've got some information for you.

You guys are going to see some serious numbers from this combination, we aren't going BBC, staying LSX is what makes this even more fun. I love a challenge.

The strokes longer than 4" is for stock production block stuff that has stock sleeves. The problem occurs when a long stroke is utilized and the pistons skirt actually is pulled so far down the sleeve at BDC that the skirt becomes exposed and has no support when this happens. This allows the piston to rock in the bore as it is returning from BDC to TDC and causes wear on the skirts of the piston allowing oil to make it's way past the oil ring and raises oil consumption considerably.

Quick Reply: Blower motor with F-3R-130