Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb: L92 into 68 Vette - fuel inject or carburetor??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb: L92 into 68 Vette - fuel inject or carburetor??

First post here: Bought a L92 out of an '09 Escalade a couple months ago and am trying to get it ready to transplant into a '68 Vette. The engine came with the complete truck intake but didn't come with a wiring harness. Got a good deal on a LS3 intake and fuel rail, but no injectors.

My question is this: do I spend the additional money ($1k +/-) to get a modified and flashed harness and ecm and injectors and MAF sensor, or do I sell all the fuel injection stuff and go carbureted? It seems like the computerized/FI route could be easier if I get a plug and play harness, but potentially more expensive than carbureted. The problem is I don't know my *** from a float bowl, or a bowl float, or even a bullfloat, for that matter, so I would probably need some pro help with carb tuning. I live in Colorado, if elevation matters at all.

Opinions? Performance differences between the two?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Launching!

I vote injected. But it depends on you desired results, budget and skills. You say you can't adjust a carb, I am guessing you will pay someone to do everything either way. The harness and all doesn't have to be that expensive. Paying someone to re-install a small block would probably be cheaper, but for me the drivability of the new technology is worth it. I would research the LS swap before making a decision.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...s6-intake.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...get-build.html

Last edited by 74modified; 10-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

I like carbs and there very easy to learn, plus if your like me and don't know computers the carbs the way to go. If its gonna be an everyday driver year around I would go Fi but if it's gonna be aoccasional driver or drag racer I'd go carb for the simplicity of it and raw power potential out of the box.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

L92 is a VVT motor so you'll need the PCM to control that or add the expense of swapping parts to eliminate it.

It's really an no-brainer to keep the EFI.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

I say go EFI
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With the VVT, I'd go EFI.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

68 corvette...injescted all the way...but I'm biased
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...eed-build.html
Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Always EFI!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like most guys get rid of the VVT anyway, regardless of induction method.

$1K will definitely get you fully carb'd. You won't have to sump your gas tank either. There is a good carb section on this site, lots of good help available. I went carb in large part because I have always wanted to learn how to tune a Holley. It wasn't that hard, sort of therapeutic really. Carb guys seem to be more hands on, while I get the feeling a lot of EFI guys don't like getting their hands dirty. I honestly don't understand why people pay for harness work, and the thought of having a "tuner" for anything less than a pro stock racer sounds gay to me. But if all you want to do is drive then paying to have someone else do the work might be the way.

If you do go carb budget a few bills to buy a wideband O2 sensor. That will allow you to really dial in the carb without a lot of guesswork. You will need a box full of tuning parts too, but the good thing with that is once you have them you're set forever. Carbs will go from engine to engine with little more expense than a few gaskets.

If you want details on all the benefits of carbs vs. EFI then read one of the 100 or so threads on that in the carb section. Carbs aren't for everyone but LS motors sure do take to them well.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Just an fyi on fuel systems. The C3 corvette gas tank is tall and narrow. I'm using an external pump with the stock pickup/sender. I've driven it well under 1/4 tank without starvation issues.
Vettworks and Tanks Inc do have intank pump/sumps too if you go that route.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for injected here. So nice to turn the key and have it start right up, every time.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm leaning towards keeping the EFI, there are just so many nuances in going either way, and the VVT only complicates things. I s'pose I need to dig a little further into how the VVT works; I assumed it was only mechanically operated and monitored by the ECM. I didn't realize it was actually electrically controlled by the ECM. Is there some sort of servo involved? I'll try to dig up any threads on it here. Maybe the best route would be a standalone LS3 harness with a new cam and springs, and delete the VVT. I wanted to put a new cam in down the road anyway.

Again, thanks for the info!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=-Q-;16804504]Another vote for injected here. So nice to turn the key and have it start right up, every time.

Wow! That's purdy!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

VVT is having your cake and eating it too, once the fear of the unknown is overcome (and it quickly is) the advantages come clear. Hey, people used to remove HEI's and put in dual-point distributors since they were "better".

If you read thru the threads on keep vs delete VVT you'll find there's more keep than delete votes. Here's one

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...t-not-vvt.html

Disclaimer - mabye I'm biased, I run a LY6 and the car doesn't measure distance in 1/4 mile increments.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by L3D_foot
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm leaning towards keeping the EFI, there are just so many nuances in going either way, and the VVT only complicates things. I s'pose I need to dig a little further into how the VVT works; I assumed it was only mechanically operated and monitored by the ECM. I didn't realize it was actually electrically controlled by the ECM. Is there some sort of servo involved? I'll try to dig up any threads on it here. Maybe the best route would be a standalone LS3 harness with a new cam and springs, and delete the VVT. I wanted to put a new cam in down the road anyway.

Again, thanks for the info!
Check into PSI conversions for a harness. Very quality piece that comes with your fuses and relays prewired...you just add relays for fans and you're done. Worth every cent, and their customer service is outstanding. I think mine was about $500.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say keep the EFI and VVT (I did). Yes more $$ and effort in the short run, but great for long term. In Colorado you are going to want to drive that baby over Eisenhower Pass sometime, and you will love the EFI when you do...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another point, a carb will never fit under the hood so if you don't want to run a 4" cowl hood or cut a hole, keep the EFI...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Another point, a carb will never fit under the hood so if you don't want to run a 4" cowl hood or cut a hole, keep the EFI...
All good points. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Quick Reply: Newb: L92 into 68 Vette - fuel inject or carburetor??