Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

replacement shocks for DD

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replacement shocks for DD

I have a98 Z28 w/ 110k on the clock. Went for a road trip and it seems it's time to replace the shocks. Looked around on the forums a bit and mostly just info about upgrades for handling. This is strictly a daily driver, I commute about 100 miles a day, and feel that she handles just fine for me, but could use a more comfy ride(I know, I know, maybe I'm just gettin old). I'm looking for some inexpensive replacements for the stock shocks that aren't complete garbage, only thing I come up with are bilsteins but they still seem a little spendy. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bilsteins. $100/shock isn't really too bad.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Spend the money on a set of bilsteins, there better than most shocks in their price range.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...age-set-of-4-/
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazlo
I have a98 Z28 w/ 110k on the clock. Went for a road trip and it seems it's time to replace the shocks. Looked around on the forums a bit and mostly just info about upgrades for handling. This is strictly a daily driver, I commute about 100 miles a day, and feel that she handles just fine for me, but could use a more comfy ride(I know, I know, maybe I'm just gettin old). I'm looking for some inexpensive replacements for the stock shocks that aren't complete garbage, only thing I come up with are bilsteins but they still seem a little spendy. Any ideas?
The most affordable shock that is also going to be of good quality is going to be the Bilsteins IMHO. They are honestly hard to beat for the money and offer a nice ride. I was actually going to put set of Bilstein shocks on my personal T/A until a got a good deal on a set of Koni Shocks. If there is anything we can help you out with let me know.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

So what is the difference between the bilstein HD and SLP versions? Also looks like I can get some KYB AGX shocks for slightly more that would be adjustable, would the softest setting on these be better or just go bilstein?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the difference between the bilstein HD and SLP versions? Also looks like I can get some KYB AGX shocks for slightly more that would be adjustable, would the softest setting on these be better or just go bilstein?
The HD and the SLP are the exact same shocks.

Bilstein > KYB. I've got KYBs on my daily and they're not bad, but they're not on the same level as Bilstein.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

ok bilstein's it is, now one more question. From what I read searching around here alot of guys do springs when they replace shocks is this cause they wear or just to lower/improve handling while they're doing shocks anyway? Is thare any way to check if the springs are good? I cannot lower the car at all due to my driveway, it doesn't scrape if it's just me but if anyone else is in the car with me it does. Also seems like any lowered spring woud be stiffer ya?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok bilstein's it is, now one more question. From what I read searching around here alot of guys do springs when they replace shocks is this cause they wear or just to lower/improve handling while they're doing shocks anyway? Is thare any way to check if the springs are good? I cannot lower the car at all due to my driveway, it doesn't scrape if it's just me but if anyone else is in the car with me it does. Also seems like any lowered spring woud be stiffer ya?
It's most people do them both at the same time I would assume because to do the front struts you must take the coils off to get at them. Improvements in handling can be from the lowering springs increased spring rate and the struts rebound to the road. If you are looking for slightly better spring rates at stock height you could get 1le springs and put them in. I recently purchased some stranos and put them in the back dropped a good amount but the front stayed close to where I had it before. Also if you do lower the car you will need an adjustable panhard bar for the rear.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most that go with lowering spring do it when they change shocks because it's the same amount of work. Your stock springs are probably fine, but I would figure on replacing the upper mounts since they do rust-out; even here in central California!

Quick Reply: replacement shocks for DD