PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should you reset pcm after every mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should you reset pcm after every mod?

my ? is just as the title says? after any intake or exhaust mod should you do a reset? and if so is there any special precedure to do if using a different than stock tune? (like predator). what is the best way to do a reset if needed?
tia!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:21 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

from what i have seen the pcm learns fast. i wouldn't worry about it.

it has to learn where to be weather it starts from scratch or from what it allready knew before your new mods. from scratch is probably farther off than what it all ready knows.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well.. since you're supposed to discon the battery for any mods (at least anything that takes more than 15 mins) ... your PCM will have to relearn anyways....

(trust me... when u work on your car... discon the battery... I've had some shocking... er sparking experiences before cause I was in a hurry)

To reset the PCM pull PCM Bat and PCM Ign fuses under the hood (do while car is in run)

wait a few minutes (turn key on and off ... not sure if necessary but I always do it)

w/a "stupid" PCM you can just start driving... or you can do an idle relearn (not sure what tranny u have)

I think the process is something like put in Drive w/Ebrake on for 5 mins, put in N for 5 mins ... (for auto trans) ... but not 100% sure... I reset my PCM quite often and i just reset and drive off... car wont idle great for first few mins but it learns fast
Old 04-10-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

i dunno bout that drive with ebrake on an auto thing. toasty brakes.

hptuners may be putting hard reset into their app shortly. its requested.

if its a light mod you might just go drive it for 50 miles and let it learn. If its a heavy mod (Cam,headers) you gotta wideband tune it anyways.

what mod are we talking bout?

things like a ASP pulley i doubt anything is necessary..
Old 04-10-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the replies. nottin big, minor intake crap.
thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZDOG
thanks for the replies. nottin big, minor intake crap.
thanks
It's not necessary for you to reset the PCM after a mod. The computer has learned what settings it should have for your car as you drive it under different load and temperature conditions. By resetting it, it has to learn all over again and some of the cells may take a long time to relearn depending on how you drive (driving up a long grade, versus driving on the freeway, vs driving around town) So if you can avoid resetting do so, the computer will learn and adjust for alot of modifications to your car. Its the big stuff like cams n heads, changing fuel pressure,injector size is where you have to go in, reprogram and reset. But like one of the other posts says, its a good idea to disconnect bat when you work on car. But I don't agree with unplugging fuses while car is in run. you should unplug the fuses when the car is off. As far as relearning, try to drive different scenarios like I mentioned earlier.