LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Ram Air Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Ram Air Bumper?

I have a 95 Firebird Formula LT1 M6. I want to have ram air but I don't want to fork out $300+ for a intake box and bellow and then another $400-$600 on a hood. What I have in mind is what if I cut the front bumper where the fog lights should be and run an air filter behind the bumper or even just tubing and run tubing to a filter. What could I use to make this all work? Has anyone tried this before? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Homemade CAIs are everywhere. Fortunately for you there's no "one accepted method" in doing so. It's a simple concept which is why there are so many different setups out there.

Having said that, IMO, (most) homemade CAIs tend to look cheesy, look low budget, have poor fitment, and open up the possibility of complicating things. After I saw two LT1 cars at the strip a few years ago using DRYER DUCT for a CAI similar to how you're suggesting you do yours my view on them changed.

Then again being "unique" is a right you posses so go for it!

Or spend $200 and get a normal CAI like the rest of us.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ramair Lt1 Hood is pure sex!!!! That should be on your bucket list!!!! Then you can spend about another 160.00 for the Ls1 lid set up with an aftermarket LID such as the SLP model and call it good!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

there is styrofoam and a bumper support right behind the fog light holes in a formula bumper. unless you planned on removing it you would probably have an easier time cutting out one of the louvers on the hood for a ram air
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

The problem with direct ram air through the bumper is it will be a direct path of any water/heavy rain and can lead to issues with your MAF or worse. Especially if you forget how low it is and drive through a puddle of standing water. Always good to have a baffle of some sort between the opening and the air filter. Either do it right and get a CAI to go into the fender or do a ram air box and get the hood.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input! I was out looking under the hood of her today and I turned the headlights on and looked under them and it looks like a tight fit if anything. What I was thinking was getting a "dual cold air intake" where it splits into two after the MAF, take out the windshield washer fluid reservoir, remove enough bumper support to make room and run the tubing up along the sides of the radiator or maybe just along side the bumper above the turn signal. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

You can find deals if you search the classifieds & craigslist!!! I found my Ram Air box for 265 shipped & my Hood for 100 bucks Yeah it needed a lil tlc but when my 95 is done The Ram Air 396 LTx will be pure sex with LSx Speedline rims & honeycomb tails Do yourself a favor & save up the cash The stock metal HeatSink hood sucks LoL Itll shed weight & look Way Better
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Like this Still a work in progress. Doing it right the first time aint cheap!!!! If it takes longer to save Do it!!! Your ride will look & perform better in the end!!
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Ram Air Bumper?-tapout-008.jpg   LT1 Ram Air Bumper?-tapout-013.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just keep a lookout for a decent priced hood. I picked up an intake and a hood for my 95 for just less than 500 bucks combined the deals are out there, youve just got to be patient. I waited over 4 years for the right deals. Or i can make u a good deal on a trickflow elbow and a k&n intake for the time being
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly Patience & Always lookin at the classifieds I went to get headers for my car & got the Ram Air hood & some other stuff instead Figured I liked the Stainless Headers better The pictures are of my Jewels I found Keep lookin

Quick Reply: LT1 Ram Air Bumper?