Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Relocating the Fuses...anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Relocating the Fuses...anybody?

Ok, so I removed my A.I.R., EGR, and added headers a few weeks ago, and my hood is starting to look clean. The one thing that really bothers me though is the fuse box on the drivers side. It looks like trash, and none of the plastic seems to fit right. Anybody relocated this, because the place where the air pump sat seems like it would be a nice place to move these too. No wires would have to be cut and it would get the huge mess out of site. Any ideas, comments, pics are welcome.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think Reckless relocated his
do a search for his engine bay pics, they're in here somewhere
Old 04-16-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

back to the top...talked to Reckless...he didnt relocate his. Ive seen covers for them...but just not my cup of tea. Really looking to hide those hideous things.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come up with something, and post a write-up!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

I think I may just do that
Old 04-16-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

That would really clean up the engine bay, especially if you moved them to say, the back! That and the battery relocation/wire mod would look really good!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
Come up with something, and post a write-up!
Yes...please do!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

i seen a pewter z with it done it was one of the guys from jjs automotive i think check around they are members
Old 04-18-2004, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm that is a good idea. I may have to look into it this weekend.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

I stuck mine down in there today. If the wires were only a little longer. I got them in but there wasnt enough slack to make them fit back into the holder and i didnt want them banging around so I pulled them back out. The two fuse boxes seperate from the holder. Be sure and disconect the battery. Then slip #1 through the hole and pushed it to the side and cram box #2 through. I'm thinking about moving the wires that go along the inside of the fender to the firewall under the fender like on the passenger side. Then I would only have to lengthen the wires where they plug into the firewall and not every one that plugs in to the fuse boxes.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TKhawk01
I stuck mine down in there today. If the wires were only a little longer. I got them in but there wasnt enough slack to make them fit back into the holder and i didnt want them banging around so I pulled them back out. The two fuse boxes seperate from the holder. Be sure and disconect the battery. Then slip #1 through the hole and pushed it to the side and cram box #2 through. I'm thinking about moving the wires that go along the inside of the fender to the firewall under the fender like on the passenger side. Then I would only have to lengthen the wires where they plug into the firewall and not every one that plugs in to the fuse boxes.
This is awesome...we got people working on this now I have been extremely busy myself, but I think Im going to play around with it tonight. Thanks for posting up the info, and if anybody else gets anywhere with this or has a great idea, let us know. I know if we get a good number of guys working on this we can get it done. I will post up what I find out tonight
Old 04-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Wink zyal8r

"J" once again Silver Bullet got ya covered!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

search for harlan (Y2K hawk) he has turbos there, so they're somewhere else.

lots of work i've considered relocating them to the rear of the car, under the passenger side speaker cover, but it would be a total pain in my *** to do that.

Ryan.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow
i've considered relocating them to the rear of the car, under the passenger side speaker cover, but it would be a total pain in my *** to do that.

Ryan.
Most definitely. I took a good look tonight, and I pulled the fuse boxes out from the plastic holder. From what I can tell, the only way to get them below to where the AIR pump used to be is that small hole right below the fuses. I had originally thought that you could possibly move the radiator/hydraulics aside and route them that way, but its sealed off. I think they can still be placed down there...but the only logical way I see to do it now is to extend the wires, and from a quick glance I can imagine it would be about a hundred or more wires. Extending wires isnt that big of a deal to me...but what worries me is the fact that if you dont get them all perfect, you could have an issue down the road, and tracing the problem once the fuse boxes are hidden below in that compartment would be no fun chore. Better still, unless the fuse boxes were inverted and placed upside down, changing/pulling fuses would be a pain in the neck too (If the boxes were inverted you could simply pull the shroud from underneath the car and then change the fuse, but thats still a lot more time consuming than just pulling a cover).

Im not giving up on this yet...but Im definitely reconsidering options. Im wondering if a piece could be constructed to hold the fuses that would at least make them more presentable. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any luck or find out anything.

Originally Posted by zyal8r
"J" once again Silver Bullet got ya covered!!!!!!!
Sup Nate
Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

The upside down idea isnt that bad .... except for the occasional PCM reset..

Quick Reply: Relocating the Fuses...anybody?