Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E quick fix? (sunshell spun)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E quick fix? (sunshell spun)

I am new to this site, please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. My vehicle is described in my sig. Had a weird issue probably brought on by my ignorance to the 4l60e's intolerance of imperfect fluid levels. Car would get to shift point, and would not shift out of 1st. Tried at varying throttle and load levels. Eventually, it popped, and I could hear spinning, followed by the loss of reverse. Going on my own research, I must believe that the sunshell stripped. My plan is to get it in and out as fast as possible. Not a daily driver, just anxious to have it mobile before winter, just in case.

I have found several "monster", "beast", and a whole lot of super-duper whatever shells on eBay. My first question is to that. Do the hardened splines on these actually make a difference, or is it puffed up eBay malarkey? Would it be better to replace it with GM stuff? I am not experienced in transmission repair, so I am taking a shot in the dark at attempting this myself. Is there anything else that is usually damaged when this part fails that I should replace while I have it out? This is a quick fix for me as I save/search for a solidly built permanent transmission more suitable to my HP and torque goals. It doesn't have to be bulletproof, just function properly under light loads, and "soft" driving. Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Texas Colt; 10-13-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the beast in all my builds. Just make sure it has the "SAP" logo on it and you are good to go.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a sunshell strip and send metal into the rear planetary gears that destroyed them. If you have never rebuilt atleast a 3 speed auto trans with sucess id leave the 4L60E rebuild to someone who has. There are alot of little parts in there and just one out of spec can ruin the rebuild. BTW I have rebuilt 3 of them all in diferent vehicles so this is not just heresay. If you are hell bent on trying atleast purchase an ASTG manual as the Chiltons isnt near as detailed. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: 4L60E quick fix? (sunshell spun)