General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

lost spark plug in engine bay!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost spark plug in engine bay!!

Hey there,

So I was changing my spark plugs in my '01 Formula (decided to go with AC Delco Iridium as they were only $2 more per after rebate.

After an hour or two I finished the passenger side and the dreaded #8 cyl (highly recommend removing the coil bracket assembly to make extra room as someone on here noted (thank you by the way))

anyway for the #2 cyl I dropped the spark plug into oblivion apparently. I searched for about an hour high and low and can't find any sign of it. I used a magnet to try to lure it out and nothing.

Where could it have gone?? Yes, I looked carefully on my garage floor to check if it fell though, but still nothing. My concern is if I just can't find it, would there by any danger of leaving it and say it was wedged somewhere against the ex. manifold? I'm just a little PO'd b/c of this b/c it just seems impossible as there aren't many places to hide in there I thought.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Launching!

if i were guessing i would thimk some were aroud the alternator bracket, but im sure u looked there, put it on a lift , it will probley just fall out when ur driving down the road , but i see that as money , its just alittle but it adds up when we work on our cars dont need to through any away. so i would find it even if i had all ready replaced it with another one.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i took my 2000 z apart i found two plugs different ones at that... i was like wtf lol
Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M1SERY
if i were guessing i would thimk some were aroud the alternator bracket, but im sure u looked there, put it on a lift , it will probley just fall out when ur driving down the road , but i see that as money , its just alittle but it adds up when we work on our cars dont need to through any away. so i would find it even if i had all ready replaced it with another one.
thanks for the help. Also, I forgot to mention it was the old one that I dropped as I was removing it. So I don't care if it falls out while driving down the road. But the fact that it's in there somewhere is driving me crazy and was slightly concerned about if it was stuck against the exhaust Manifold would pose any issues with melting or whatever.

About putting it on a lift, I may do that but I've jacked the car up and got underneath it already and did all the searching I seemed to be able to do.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Take the front wheel off on that side and look around on the front suspension. That's where I found mine when the same thing happened to me last month.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Teching In

It could also be in the black hole known as the K member. That guy is notorious for hiding bolts, plugs, or anything dropped in the engine bay. Feel around between that and the power steering assembly.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wouldn't lose sleep over this.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Launching!

alright thanks for the help guys. The frustration is over as I finally found it after about another 30 mins of searching. It fell between the exhaust heat shield and manifold. between the number 1 and 2 plug. Thanks again for the comments.

Quick Reply: lost spark plug in engine bay!!