Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hollow echo sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hollow echo sound

Hi I recently replaced my front speakers on my 99 camaro. I bought it used and the people before me completely f'ed up the sound system. I'm slowly trying to fix it. My husband knows a lot about wiring and recently replaced my head unit with a Pionner. We actually took it up to a shop because the front speakers sounded like crap and replaced them with some nice ones. The car came with two 10" subs but they built a homemade crap box out of plie wood. My husband is currently trying to find a new box for them. I know those are JL Audio. Well when we got the front speakers replaced they told us that we needed to "bypass the OE amp" I'm at a complete loss as to what that means anyways when I took the car home it sounded nice and all. However, a couple days of ago I was listening to Static-X Push It and ugh it was horrible. The back just sounded bad. There was this hollow echo coming from the back. Can anyone please please please help me out here? If you need more information I gladly provide as much as I can. Thanks!!!!

*edit*
Also I have no idea if it has a monsoon amp. I was wondering how to I tell if it does or not?

Last edited by vdizzie; 10-14-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: adding in details
Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the monsoon amp and have to bypass it, you basically do what I did and wire the stereo from scratch. My monsoon amp is no longer in use. I ran new wire to my amps and from my amps to every speaker. Not sure what the hollow sound is, but it could be the sub box. If you don't know if you have a monsoon system, check to see if there are speakers in the hatch. If there are, check the passenger side where your spare is. Just forward of that over the wheel well you'll see a black box. That's the amp. Bypassing it is just running wires from the head unit to the speakers. It takes that amp out of the equation. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vdizzie
...we needed to "bypass the OE amp" I'm at a complete loss as to what that means
OE just means Original Equipment, so he was likely talking about the Monsoon amp. Also, bonus points for listening to Static-X. I remember buying that album when it came out.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pioneers are known to have their internal grounds go bad. My brother recently had the hollow echo sound and fixed it by grounding the RCA inputs. Try this before anything.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...whine-fix.html

Quick Reply: Hollow echo sound