Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How much horsepower will my fuel system support?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How much horsepower will my fuel system support?

I have the racetronix fuel pump with hotwire and I have 37lb racetronix injectors... Just bought turbo kit and I'm wondering how much power I can make with this fuel setup?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
I have the racetronix fuel pump with hotwire and I have 37lb racetronix injectors... Just bought turbo kit and I'm wondering how much power I can make with this fuel setup?

The racetronix fuel pump is good for around 500-550 rwhp and the 37 lb injectors would be good high 400's with a high duty cycle.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

hmmm sounds like the injectors are going to hold me back...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My out-of-the-box APS TT setup @ 0.5 bar yielded me 530 hp / 550 tq with Siemens 60s and a Racetronix pump. Fuel psi was steady and the tune was fat, like 11.2:1 ~ 11.7:1 air:fuel.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sweet99ss

the 255 liter per hour pump along with all the stock fuel feeding components, except for injectors will get you ~500hp.

injectors...37# I'm guessing that are listed directly on Racetronixs website... then they are actually 42.72# injectors at our fuel pressure (58psi, 4 bar).

Another kicker... as you increase boost, you increase the pressure pushing back on the fuel injector, as the fuel injector is in the intake stream path of the said BOOST. So for every 1psi you increase of boost, you can take 1psi worth of capability away, which equates to a square root curve drop off of flow. 58psi NET, 7LBs of boost equated to 51psi injector fuel pressure...equivalent injector rating of 40# injectors.

Hence the reason people run Fuel pressure regulators that are manifold referenced.
Without running the MAP referenced FPR, you will need larger and larger fuel pumps & injectors to keep up versus increasing fuel pressure equivalent to boost pressure.

The best bet with your current setup is to sell those 37# injectors and purchase some 42# injectors so that you are for certain in the operating range of all the components you have. That would allow you to run ~6psi and not have any worry of maxing out your fuel components. If you needed more fuel, Nasty N8 or Lonnies can help you with any of your needs. Also FIC Injectors.

What turbo do you have with that setup? A 67mm? if so, and you run it on a basic bolt on ls1 @7~8lbs you likely will make ~480+ and would likely be getting a high duty cycle on those 37# (42.72#@58) injectors.

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
The racetronix fuel pump is good for around 500-550 rwhp and the 37 lb injectors would be good high 400's with a high duty cycle.
should be more than that with those injectors.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
the 255 liter per hour pump along with all the stock fuel feeding components, except for injectors will get you ~500hp.

injectors...37# I'm guessing that are listed directly on Racetronixs website... then they are actually 42.72# injectors at our fuel pressure (58psi, 4 bar).

Another kicker... as you increase boost, you increase the pressure pushing back on the fuel injector, as the fuel injector is in the intake stream path of the said BOOST. So for every 1psi you increase of boost, you can take 1psi worth of capability away, which equates to a square root curve drop off of flow. 58psi NET, 7LBs of boost equated to 51psi injector fuel pressure...equivalent injector rating of 40# injectors.

Hence the reason people run Fuel pressure regulators that are manifold referenced.
Without running the MAP referenced FPR, you will need larger and larger fuel pumps & injectors to keep up versus increasing fuel pressure equivalent to boost pressure.

The best bet with your current setup is to sell those 37# injectors and purchase some 42# injectors so that you are for certain in the operating range of all the components you have. That would allow you to run ~6psi and not have any worry of maxing out your fuel components. If you needed more fuel, Nasty N8 or Lonnies can help you with any of your needs. Also FIC Injectors.

What turbo do you have with that setup? A 67mm? if so, and you run it on a basic bolt on ls1 @7~8lbs you likely will make ~480+ and would likely be getting a high duty cycle on those 37# (42.72#@58) injectors.

I just purchased the huron speed turbo kit and I got it with the tc 76 turbonetics turbo. And I really want to run right around 5-6lbs of boost. I'd be happy with 480rwhp through an automatic on 6lbs!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How should it be more then that when the horse power numbers you quoted are the same I quoted? And why sell the 42's for another set of 42's?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

How should it be more then that when the horse power numbers you quoted are the same I quoted? And why sell the 42's for another set of 42's?
I said all components except those injectors will support those numbers. Another set of ACTUAL 42# injectors would be 48.5# injectors at our fuel pressure. please know the rated fuel psi and application psi.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I said all components except those injectors will support those numbers. Another set of ACTUAL 42# injectors would be 48.5# injectors at our fuel pressure. please know the rated fuel psi and application psi.
The first sentence doesn't make sense. You literally quoted the same numbers I did for both the pump and the injectors. I don't understand why your trying to correct me...

I understand fuel pressure and when I was talking about the 42's I was also talking about 4bar fuel pressure (which would be assumed for our cars). It doesn't make since to buy something that is only slightly bigger (since you were talking about 48.5's). Just buy some Siemens 60's and be done with it. And since you like application psi, that would be 72.98 lb/hr at 58 psi for a static flow rate. Plenty of injector for when the OP decides to keep growing.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

The first sentence doesn't make sense. You literally quoted the same numbers I did for both the pump and the injectors. I don't understand why your trying to correct me...

I understand fuel pressure and when I was talking about the 42's I was also talking about 4bar fuel pressure (which would be assumed for our cars). It doesn't make since to buy something that is only slightly bigger (since you were talking about 48.5's). Just buy some Siemens 60's and be done with it. And since you like application psi, that would be 72.98 lb/hr at 58 psi for a static flow rate. Plenty of injector for when the OP decides to keep growing.
Sorry about the same numbers, I see that now. it had been a long day.

My point about getting the 42s (being 48.5 at our pressure) is that it is just under the flow maximum of the 255 pump, so you know you won't have an issue of losing fuel pressure. I do agree that I would rather have the 60's at that point, but I would also advise upgrading the pump with it. With what he has, he would likely be ok without doing so. do it right, do it once.

What math are you doing to get 60# @ 43.5psi to 72.98 @ 58psi ? I'm not getting the same result with the flow relating to the square root of the pressure difference?

sqrt ( 58psi / 43.5psi) = 1.1547 ; 1.1547 * 60 = 69.3#
http://rceng.com/technical.aspx
Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was being lazy and found the info on a site, but I can't find it now. But after doing the math based on the specs here:

http://siemensdeka.com/specsheets/FI114961.jpg

Sqrt(58psi/43.5) = 1.1547 * 61 = 70.4lbs

Pretty close
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

I was being lazy and found the info on a site, but I can't find it now. But after doing the math based on the specs here:

http://siemensdeka.com/specsheets/FI114961.jpg

Sqrt(58psi/43.5) = 1.1547 * 61 = 70.4lbs

Pretty close
As you can notice, that data sheet shows it flowing 61# and I used 60# as that is what was stated. Details....details...

Also, with n-heptane versus gasoline:

Injector flow rates are based on testing with n-Heptane test solvent (0.6855 g/ml). U.S. EPA emission test gasoline 40CFR86.113 (0.735g/ml) flows in most common injector designs at about a 3 to 4% higher rate than n-Heptane. A ratio of 1.035:1 can be used when converting the flow specifications above.

Quick Reply: How much horsepower will my fuel system support?