General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Back firing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Back firing?

Having a back firing issue with the car once it gets a load on it off the line. Took it to the track and ran off the trans brake and it back fires and the car dies. But if I roll into it off the line it seems to not back fire. Only happens when we put load on it. Not sure if i got a voltage or wiring issue. Ive looked at all my sensors and they r in good shape. My battery is new along and my alternator is reading high. Last time we were out the voltage on my battery was reading 13 volts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,121 Likes on 618 Posts

What is your air fuel ratio at idle, while under load and normal driving? If you do not have a wideband installed we do recommend installing getting a quality Wideband Gauge installed to help diagnose this problem and for general tuning ease. You can also take spark plug readings, note exhaust smoke color to help determine if the engine is rich or lean.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

My air fuel is running right about 11 or and stays constant going down the track. Its got a wideband on the it. Im thinking its gotta be something with the wiring. Just put in a 10pt and might of nipped a ground wire or something. Pulled all the spark plugs and they all look good.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Your set up was fine before installing a cage? If that is the case check any areas in the car you cut, drilled, welded or installed hardware to check for melted or damaged wiring. This is tedious work but sometimes the only way to diagnose a problem that shows up after a installation like this. Did you disconnect the battery before welding?

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Yeah we are gonna check all the wiring tonight and see if something got burnt or cut during the cage. I wasnt there when the cage was installed so not sure if the battery was disconnected or not. Would that make a difference?

Thanks,
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

With electronics it is always to remove them from the electrical system when doing any type of welding. There is a chance of damage caused from the welder’s high current. This normally leads to a complete failure and not intermittent situation so we are leaning more towards a damaged wire/ sensor.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com

Quick Reply: Car Back firing?