Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Swap Into a 1999-2002 V-6 Firebird ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LS3 Swap Into a 1999-2002 V-6 Firebird ?

Before everyone starts with the "why don't you buy a Formula or a Trans-Am" suggestions, I'll tell you why . . .

(1) I want a HARDTOP ( bye-bye T/A's ) and Formula hardtops are difficult to locate and cost $2000 - $2500 more than V-6 cars do.

(2) I don't like the front light arrangement on the T/A, but love the look of the Formula. The V-6 cars have the same light arrangement as the Formula.

(3) I prefer the smaller spoiler of the Formula and many V-6 Firebirds have the same spoiler.

(3) It is MUCH easier to find a HARDTOP V-6 Firebird.

(4) YES, I did "leave out" the 1998 model year ( intentionally ) . . . Too many issues with computer, etc.

OK . . . Here is my plan ( briefly )

LS3 (maybe a small stroke increase - SLEEPER )
Cam, Pistons, CNC heads, All-Forged motor
4L60E or 4L80E
Strange S60 rear end ( 3.54 - 3.73 gears )
K-Member & other Suspension mods
QUIET exhaust system

QUESTIONS . . .

(A) I live in a state with OBD-II emissions inspection (NC). Is it possible to make this swap, including a computer swap and have the car legally pass emissions and be able to be legally registered and insured, since the VIN number will not correctly identify the engine in the car or the original vehicle the Computer came from ?

(B) What other suspension and brake changes will I have to make to bring the car "up to spec" for the new set-up ? This is a "Daily-Driver Street Car".

(C) I will be picking up a "Donor Car" ( probably a wrecked T/A) . . . Are there any major differences or fitment problems I should be aware of ?

Thanks, in advance !
Dave
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

If you are picking up a donor car and plan to gut the V6 car of all the V6 stuff, then your V6 car could be a '98 and it wouldn't make any difference. It's the donor car that you'd want to be newer if you really want the '99+ PCM.

If I was doing this I would actually be actively seeking a '98 V6 to start with. If you get one built before 05/98, then you won't have the bubbling roof issue like the later cars do. And this is a difficult repair on a hardtop car.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you are picking up a donor car and plan to gut the V6 car of all the V6 stuff, then your V6 car could be a '98 and it wouldn't make any difference. It's the donor car that you'd want to be newer if you really want the '99+ PCM.

If I was doing this I would actually be actively seeking a '98 V6 to start with. If you get one built before 05/98, then you won't have the bubbling roof issue like the later cars do. And this is a difficult repair on a hardtop car.
Great tip . . . Thanks for the "heads-up" on the roof issue !

Dave
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done exactly what you want to do but w a 98 and a 98 doner ta. Its running but I have yet to finnish it and get it on the road. It's easy to do just make sure the doner is mostly complete. Eveything had to be changed. I wouldn't do it again unless it was all free, for the cost I just don't have the time it took for the extra little bs. My donor was wreked so the K-member was bent and I ran into a few other isuess
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by socal
I've done exactly what you want to do but w a 98 and a 98 doner ta. Its running but I have yet to finnish it and get it on the road. It's easy to do just make sure the doner is mostly complete. Eveything had to be changed. I wouldn't do it again unless it was all free, for the cost I just don't have the time it took for the extra little bs. My donor was wreked so the K-member was bent and I ran into a few other isuess
Did you take any pics during your project ?

I am looking at an after market K-Member, Suspension & Trailing Arms, Torque Arm, etc.

Mainly I just need the donor for whatever parts are needed to swap over to a V-6 car to bring it up to "T/A specs", so to speak. I know the instrument cluster has to be swapped, but am curious about brakes, springs, etc. being different.

Thanks for posting !

Dave

Last edited by ez2cdave; 10-15-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: LS3 Swap Into a 1999-2002 V-6 Firebird ?