Obama backed A123 battery manufacture declares bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Obama backed A123 battery manufacture declares bankruptcy

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...143806554.html

Obama is going to get slayed during tonight's debate.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and much hilarity will ensue....
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vote, make sure he gets the boot!

Chad
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM
9 Second Club

I'm more surprised that Yahoo actually posted this article. They've always seemed pretty Liberal.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Like Romney or the guy he was quoting said "Obama always picks the losers".
Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1badc6
Like Romney or the guy he was quoting said "Obama always picks the losers".
Someone on a GM forum saying Obama always picks the losers. Oh the irony.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbm4306
+1
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sbm4306
Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
+1
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Launching!

so obama backed a prospective all american company, and GM had the option to use them as their battery supplier yet GM went with a chinese source.
so this is obama's fault how? shouldnt you be pointing fingers at GM for jumping ship if anyone?

why waste time trying to find other energy alternatives?
we could just bulldoze a MOUNTAIN like this to get some non-rewnewable coal.

oh by the way, romney wants to pull more regulations OFF of coal mining, making it easier to F our land up. Also wants to push ahead with Keystone XL.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
so obama backed a prospective all american company, and GM had the option to use them as their battery supplier yet GM went with a chinese source.
so this is obama's fault how? shouldnt you be pointing fingers at GM for jumping ship if anyone?

oh by the way, romney wants to pull more regulations OFF of coal mining, making it easier to F our land up. Also wants to push ahead with Keystone XL.
How was this a prospective company? You can't blame GM for A123's bankruptcy. GM was using their batteries in the Chevy Spark. The contract that A123 lost was for the Chevy Volt, and those batteries were supplied by a South Korean company, not the Chinese. They were also supposed to supply BMW with batteries as well as Fisker. It was another case of Obama throwing taxpayer money at a company simply because it's "green". This is what happens when someone with zero business experience makes decisions.

It's funny you posted a picture of a strip mine. Where do you think all those rare earth metals used to make batteries come from? Do you know who has the most rare earth metals? China.

Obama declared war on coal despite the fact that coal mining provides jobs as well as a cheap, secure energy source produced right here in the U.S.. We're going to use energy so why not use our own.

I'm happy Romney wants the keystone pipeline.

Last edited by RedBaron; 10-16-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

At what point are people going to realize that our products are NOT going to be cheaper than their counterparts across the pond? Until Americans decide to pay a few bucks more for American products this will never change. And how can one blame GM for bailing... maybe they saw something that Fisker didnt....

The company also had to spend $66 million on a recall of its Karma battery packs in 2011 due to a charging defect.

There is only one thing cheaper than coal at producing power and the Liberals arent having it. As far as the Keystone... thats a tough one. Do we create jobs and **** up the land or do we keep people unemployed and not **** up the land. As for ******* up land.... do you know how those awesome car batteries are made? I read an article (im going to try to find it) that said if you factor in the manufacturing process, the Toyota Prius has the same 'carbon footprint' as a Hummer H2.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RedBaron
You can't blame GM for A123's bankruptcy.
You're missing the point. American labor can't keep up with foreign outsourcing. Hence, government intervention is needed to grow American businesses. Just like how farm subsidies keep the American farmers afloat.

Obama's goal is sustainable renewable energy, which takes government subsidy and investment since right now nonrenewable energy is cheaper. Romney thinks we should just let the free market mine every form of nonrenewable energy until we run out and get ourselves into a major depression...
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Romney thinks we should just let the free market mine every form of nonrenewable energy until we run out and get ourselves into a major depression...
Is that even possible?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DSIM
Is that even possible?
Do you know what the word nonrenewable means? Yes, it is possible to run out of fossil fuels, at which point the economy would crash
Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

You're missing the point. American labor can't keep up with foreign outsourcing. Hence, government intervention is needed to grow American businesses. Just like how farm subsidies keep the American farmers afloat.

Obama's goal is sustainable renewable energy, which takes government subsidy and investment since right now nonrenewable energy is cheaper. Romney thinks we should just let the free market mine every form of nonrenewable energy until we run out and get ourselves into a major depression...
I think you're missing the point and have probably missed the boat. So you want our government to dictate which companies we're allowed to do business with? I don't know, but that sounds an awful lot like communism to me.

So from what source is all this sustainable renewable energy going to come?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Betting our tax dollars on under developed technologies during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression is asinine. The Obama Administration made a risky bet and lost. They should have invested our tax dollars on less risky ventures, such as infrastructure and manufacturing. When our economy is flourishing then it's appropriate to invest in renewables.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Do you know what the word nonrenewable means? Yes, it is possible to run out of fossil fuels, at which point the economy would crash
Better stop driving your car so you can do your part.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Launching!

most energy sources are going to come at the expense of something, of course. but coal is one of the dirtiest forms out there and has HUGE negative repercussions. its a matter of time until it runs out, thats a fact. you can invest into turning your country into a wasteland, or by using your means to invest in a less destructive form of energy.

thats one of romneys more forward speaking points to 'boost the economy' is deregulating coal mine rules and keystone (which by the way could only meet at MOST 5% of our national usage).
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RedBaron
I think you're missing the point and have probably missed the boat. So you want our government to dictate which companies we're allowed to do business with? I don't know, but that sounds an awful lot like communism to me.

So from what source is all this sustainable renewable energy going to come?
What I don't want is the short sighted, profit driven free market making all the decisions for me. I certainly don't advocate communism, I'm a left libertarian. I just don't think the free market is the end all solution.

Yes, sometimes it takes institutions with more foresight to plan ahead then corporations: it's called government. Public roads are a testament to that. And yes, in case you didn't pay attention during middle school science class, there are forms of sustainable renewable energy on earth. What is needed to make them accessible is investment and no businesses are willing to make investments that far ahead.

"I don't know, that sounds like communism to me" sounds like fear mongering left over from the cold war being drummed up by a certain political party to me...

Quick Reply: Obama backed A123 battery manufacture declares bankruptcy