Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best Monsoon Sail Panel Speaker Replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Monsoon Sail Panel Speaker Replacements?

I have a 2002 T/A with the monsoon system and an aftermarket headunit. I replaced the sail panel speakers in my old 98 T/A with what I thought would be pretty decent Alpine's but I was wrong and they were terrible.

So, what are your experiences with them, what do you all recommend?

I was thinking about these: (non-sponsor link removed)

But I have no idea if I should go shallow mount subwoofer or component speaker. Thoughts?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-16-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

bazooka 6.5" dvc.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
bazooka 6.5" dvc.
Those look good and The price is right too. I see 2, 4 and 8 ohm versions, which should I be looking at?

I can wire the speakers in but that's about the extent of my car audio knowledge. Don't understand the ohm, amps, watts, part at all.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
Those look good and The price is right too. I see 2, 4 and 8 ohm versions, which should I be looking at?
You should read the Monsoon sticky in this section first. All the answers are there. There are also several site sponsors who sell the correct speakers.

Here's the install for the Bazookas: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
You should read the Monsoon sticky in this section first. All the answers are there. There are also several site sponsors who sell the correct speakers.

Here's the install for the Bazookas: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
I did read most of it, this part confused me:

"Replacing the factory speakers is mostly a matter of finding suitable speakers that fit and sound the way you like. Much has been said about the different impedance levels of the factory speakers and most aftermarket speakers but this is not a critical factor. Replacing factory 2-ohm speakers with aftermarket 4-ohm ones would normally cause a noticeable reduction in the volume because of cutting the output power in half. Cutting the power in half does not result in half the volume... it results in a 3dB drop in volume which is noticeable but not a huge difference. That assumes that the speakers have the same sensitivity (efficiency). If the replacement speaker is at least 3dB more sensitive than the original speaker then there will be no loss of volume. The factory speakers are notoriously inefficient so almost any aftermarket replacement, regardless of rated impedance, is going to sound better."

If the stock speakers are 2 ohm and bazooka makes 2 ohm subs, why wouldn't I want those instead of the 4 ohm ones?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the stock speakers are 2 ohm and bazooka makes 2 ohm subs, why wouldn't I want those instead of the 4 ohm ones?
I don't know if Bazooka does make 2 Ohm 6.5" DVCs, I've never seen them.

If lower impedance were optimal, why not go all the way to zero? Current stability and damping are also important considerations, especially when newer more efficient (higher sensitivity) speakers with higher impedance can achieve the same volume levels as older lower impedance speakers.

Not the most cost effective, but probably the best under $200:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...check-out.html

Last edited by Capricio; 10-16-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: CDT link
Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Mainly because you don't have 2-ohm stock speakers. Firebird sail panel subs are dual voice coil 4-ohm + 4-ohm and the Bazooka 4-ohm replacements exactly match that. (that was covered in the FAQ as well)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Mainly because you don't have 2-ohm stock speakers. Firebird sail panel subs are dual voice coil 4-ohm + 4-ohm and the Bazooka 4-ohm replacements exactly match that. (that was covered in the FAQ as well)
Ah, that works then.

This is so much more complicated than I had hoped. I just need to know what to buy:

These: http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobi...nt-woofer-P264

These: http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobi...-(1-5-VC)-P263

Or these: http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobi...-(2-0-VC)-P487
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Just buy them from Kee Audio or Double D Mods - both are sponsors here. (oh, and it's the first one - the only DVC model)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Cool, I like the price on Double D Mods. Ordering now.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Just wanted to say that I received the subs and just finished installing them and they're AMAZING! Thank you!

Quick Reply: Best Monsoon Sail Panel Speaker Replacements?