Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Largest stroke for Standard Deck LSX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Largest stroke for Standard Deck LSX?

Getting ready to start planning on a build with a standard deck LSX block. I picked the block up second hand and will be running a 4.200 bore (not necessarily because I want to, that is what it will take to get scoring out of one of the walls.)

I'm getting ready to order rotating assembly parts and I was curious as to what the longest stroke you could run in that block is? I don't really want to mess with clearancing the bottom end, so I guess I just need to know what the largest stroke crank is that will fit without modification. I've seen a couple of people saying you can go up to a 4.250 stroke, but I'm still unsure. Also, what size rods are being run with this setup?

Thanks in advance guys!

Ethan
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that you can go as high 4.250, but even at 4.000 (6.125 rods) we were adding washers and mangling the windage tray in an F-body pan. The rod bolts on the H-beams were kind of beefy, and kept banging off center on the tray. I'm glad we didn't try to go longer, although with enough parts and effort it probably could have been made to work.

If you're going with some sort of FI later, a lot of people will you not to go over 4.000 as well. Longer strokes are fine for NA, if you can make them fit.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info, this will be a NA build for the life of the engine. I was considering running an fbody pan. How big of a pain was it to get the pan to work?

thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A nice write-up here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...4-stroker.html

I think Mast makes a special windage tray for strokers, and GMPP makes several:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ge-tray-2.html

I do not know the limits of any particular pan, but things seem to start pushing the margins of a standard F-body pan around 4.125, for sure.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...dage-tray.html

Last edited by Capricio; 10-17-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
Getting ready to start planning on a build with a standard deck LSX block. I picked the block up second hand and will be running a 4.200 bore (not necessarily because I want to, that is what it will take to get scoring out of one of the walls.)

I'm getting ready to order rotating assembly parts and I was curious as to what the longest stroke you could run in that block is? I don't really want to mess with clearancing the bottom end, so I guess I just need to know what the largest stroke crank is that will fit without modification. I've seen a couple of people saying you can go up to a 4.250 stroke, but I'm still unsure. Also, what size rods are being run with this setup?

Thanks in advance guys!

Ethan
Are you sure you mean 4.200 bore and not a 4.020 bore? I don't think there will much left of the cylinder walls if you bored it to a 4.2 inch bore. If thats the case, you won't be able to run any power adders. As for the stroker cranks, be mindful to the fact that the longer the stroke, the more wear there will be on the cylinder walls and piston skirts. The connecting rod angles become more exaggerated with a bigger crank throw.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
Are you sure you mean 4.200 bore and not a 4.020 bore? I don't think there will much left of the cylinder walls if you bored it to a 4.2 inch bore. If thats the case, you won't be able to run any power adders. As for the stroker cranks, be mindful to the fact that the longer the stroke, the more wear there will be on the cylinder walls and piston skirts. The connecting rod angles become more exaggerated with a bigger crank throw.
Yes, I'm sure I mean 4.200 bore. I have sonic tested the cylinder walls and I have actually have room to take it out further and still be at the spec of .200" wall thickness, but I have no desire to take it to its limits lmao
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

I would probably limit the stroke to 4.125". I'm assuming you'll need custom pistons, right?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I've contacted JE and Wiseco both and they said they do not carry a "shelf grind" that large. I've decided I'm going to go with a 4.125 stroke and a 6.125 rod.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

4.200 bore is there going to be an issue sealing it? The gasket gets razor thin between cylinders doesnt it?
Most dont like to go that big, I was told that was the reason
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Have you thought about having the damaged cylinder sleeved so you can use a shelf piston? It may cost less overall than custom pistons and may be a safer route.

Quick Reply: Largest stroke for Standard Deck LSX?