Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS in a Chevelle motor mount and header combo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS in a Chevelle motor mount and header combo?

which engine mount header combo give room to use factory a/c box and p/s gear? Plus carb or injection
Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I presume you intend to use a truck engine? If so all of the accessories and brackets will work. What year Chevelle?
Always check the stickies here!!!! Tons of valuable information. Just remember to stay consistent with a proven list of parts. Often times many of us have found that some parts do not play well together. This is the basic combination I used, LQ4 and 4L60E.

Frame mounts #3379 www.carpartsdiscount.com
Headers Dougs
Engine adapters Dougs SK100
Motor mounts Energy Suspension 3-1117G
If you are using truck accessory mounts you will most likely need to change PS pulley to Dorman 300-123.

Don't waste time with the truck pan, it wont work out well. I used Canton 13-274 with pickup 13-275 and filter mount 22-631.
There are a host of others as well that won't require cutting the k-member.
I can supply pictures if you are interested.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Sorry, I have a long block only 5.3L going in a 70 El Camino. I was leaning towards the Doug headers and mount brackets.
I have a 700r4 in it with stock 70 350 and would like to make a daily driver.Thought I'd drop in an LS to make in more efficient.
I do have a car intake,fuel rail,injectors,T/B and MAF.
The oil pan is another issue,Holley/GM muscle car kit, does Canton give more clearance ?

Last edited by lowriders65; 10-17-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

I used the Transdapt 1" setback mounts, holley pan, and F-body Pacesetter offroad headers on my 66. I had to dent a few of the primaries to get frame clearance, but I have heard of folks using them on the 68 and up cars with no clearance issues. Here's a link to my thread of the progress so far.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-chevelle.html
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As oldgoat stated.. check the A-Body Sticky to see what everyone else is using.. and Mix and Matching parts can be a tricky exercise in trial and error unless you know that someone else has successfully used the combo.

Would suggest you take a look at each header manufactor recommendation or matching plate to use.. if they were made with -1 setback, it could be trouble if using standards or + plates as the headers could contact the front crossmember.

If your using the OEM A/C Suitcase.. moving the engine back (like iwth -1 Setback) could cause some contact with the Right side head.. Mine is very close (3/8"). I had to mod the AC Box, I cut a squar notch out, flipped it over and glassed it back in to get and extra 1/2" to 5/8" more clearance around the #8 header tube.

As jwatts found out.. using something from another application can cause issues, usually the F-body header can have colllector issue hitting the floor boards and at a wrong angle, heating and bending the can be a solution (as well as cut and weld). Primary tubes can be an issue also with the crossmember or frame.

I am using the old/early style BRP plates with Edelbrock header (no longer made).

My recommendation is that if there is one manufactor that has a complete it (header, plates, crossmember).. and it is within your budget and you like the setup. use it.. else be prepared to do some modifications.

Just my 2 cents.

BC
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-645...450-S-0711.htm

LS1 in a GEN 1 Camaro, Chevelle , Nova, Chevelle, El Camino, Grand Sport, Sprint, Wagons, Skylark, Cutless, 442, GTO, Le Mans & Gen 2 (1970-1981) Camaro and Firebird

Check out the above link. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: LS in a Chevelle motor mount and header combo?