LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need your suggestions for intake/valve cover paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your suggestions for intake/valve cover paint

Hey guys i finally did the headers on the 30th anniversary z and am about to put it all back together. I tore the whole damn thing apart and can officially say just about every single external part on this motor has been replaced and upgraded. It was pretty bad when i tore into it... Melted opti, white powder burnt all over it, plug wires split and crumbling, plugs arcing out... Yeah lol... And it ran like a raped ape. I cant wait to fire this bitch up after all the bolt ons and a total tuneup!

The cars a 97 30th m6, white & orange stripes, white leather. I LOVE it and have been sticking with the color scheme in the motor. Everythings ready for paint, and i was planning on doing the intake chevy/hugger orange with polished fins, at least that much im pretty set on. As for the bbk tb, valve covers (stock), and anything else, give me some ideas! Ive got the water pump housing already shot in orange, as well as the strut tower bar. Looks sick

I do paint/body so i can do pretty much anything and can go back and change **** if someones got a killer scheme i like... I also have a TON. I mean A TON, of assorted vinyls from Brent Franker i can incorporate, as well as probably 200 stickers of all types ive accumulated from my builds. I am NOT a sticker guy but there are however quite a few nice classy looking ones in there that could be used to add a nice touch - trickflow lunati slp comp cams ect every company... Also have an *** ton of nice badges - slp, 6le 6le mcnord, 60s cursive "camaro" badges ext.....

Hit me up with some ideas and i will post up pics of the whole shabang - car motor parts stickers vinyls badges you got it.

Lets do this **** right the cars gorgeous the motor needs to be even better!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Painted valve covers kind of look cheesy, IMO. If I were you I'd go with a polished smoothie cover (popularly found on eBay) and add a "30th SS" badge or something along those lines. Too much paint in an engine bay starts to look pretty awful after awhile.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Painted valve covers kind of look cheesy, IMO. If I were you I'd go with a polished smoothie cover (popularly found on eBay) and add a "30th SS" badge or something along those lines. Too much paint in an engine bay starts to look pretty awful after awhile.
I agree, Sometimes I think it looks to gaudy to paint everything. Silver on the valve covers isn't too bad but I would rather have the black or polished aluminum. It's all about personal opinion though.

When I had my intake and valve covers off last winter, I scrubbed the hell out of them with OFF Oven cleaner and the solvent in my parts washer. I also took a wire wheel and brush to my intake to bring out the clean look of bare aluminum and it looked good. Thought about clearcoating it at the time too but didn't. Here's some clean pics of my '93 after I was done.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Totally guys thats why i wanted to ask, i was real iffy on doing the valve covers orange but couldnt think of anything else. Definitely no white going in there. The brushed/polished stock covers sounds like it might actually look sweet, got any pics? Ill google.

If all else fails i will leave em as is or paint em a nice black with maybe an orange 30th, z28, bowtie, or one of the million other hugger vinyls from brent. Im heading out now to mess with it while im still able to stand up lmfao... Been up alllll night.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Oh and unfortunately its not an SS i reallllly want a 30th dash plaque to replace that horrendous black and red letter camaro plastic pos throwing off my white leather sexyness, but they only make 30th ann SS plaques and idk, would that be gay to put on there not being an ss?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97z2801ss
Oh and unfortunately its not an SS i reallllly want a 30th dash plaque to replace that horrendous black and red letter camaro plastic pos throwing off my white leather sexyness, but they only make 30th ann SS plaques and idk, would that be gay to put on there not being an ss?
Yeah don't label the car what it isn't. I actually considered sand blasting the valve covers bare, and then take scuff pad to it to make it look kind of like stainless steel and them clearcoat that. But I thought it might look too trashy under the hood. I did that on a bike I had when I was 12 and it looked cool haha.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Launching!

I also want to do something out of the norm and was curious if there's a heat resistant filler that would hold up on the valve covers...
Smooth em out, possibly etch something in there. Could make for a very unique look
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used some Duplicolor Cast Coat Aluminum on my magnesium '92 Vette valve covers, it ended up alittle too bright.

Last edited by guppymech; 10-17-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Here are a couple pics of my old car if it helps. It was easy to keep clean and no polishing was a big plus for me.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Really nice man, is that orange or red? And is that a fuel pressure guage in the bay? Thats a nice idea and i havent thought of doing it that way.. Ive got one and didnt want it in the pod.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Also what sort of relocation bracket is that? Ive got the speed inc full kit but its causing problems... Didnt know of any other kits that keep power steering
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you should have the intake manifold powder coated white. Then put 2 orange stripes on the the 2nd and 4th "fin" on the top of the manifold between the fual rails. Basically it would mimick your paint job. That might be a little over the top, and it would be hard to pair valve covers with it, but as far as intake manifold goes I think that would look sweet lol
Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Somebody photoshop it! I havent painted it yet. Porting the intake holes.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly I think all black motors look menacing. Sleek and never too complicated. It allows everything to blend, so sensors an other things that stick out "disappear".
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

All black is nice, but this is a 30th anniversary! Im gonna give it the treatment it deserves... Orange and polished/chrome.

So for now the stock covers will get cleaned up and redone a nice gloss black. When my rockers go on ill put on some nice polished smooth covers like my 383. I was just wondering if anyone had a way to make the stockers look great, but black will look nice anyway.

Heres the plan, and parts ive got. I already had all these parts left over so theres no expense here, and they are very nice parts so why not use them. Paint and labor is all me, i do great work will post up finished pics, and maybe some pics while im working if anyone is interested!

Chevy/hugger orange is a nice, bright orange very close to the stripes. This is what ill be using. It comes out smooth as glass almost as good as powdercoat the way i do it.

Orange intake with polished fins
Bbk 58mm tb with MBA z28 cover - orange cover, polished z28
Polished BMR radiator shroud if i switch back to lt1 k&n, otherwise slp lid. Havent thought of anyting to do with the slp lid yet that wont look gaudy anyone?
Black stock valve covers, possibly polished or orange lines, then polished tall vcs later
Polished MBA fuse bix cover
Polished MBA throttle linkage cover
All rubber vacuum hoses ect replaced with braided steel
Ect

Quick Reply: Need your suggestions for intake/valve cover paint