Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Lingenfelter Nitrous Controller experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Default My Lingenfelter Nitrous Controller experience

I've been running Lingenfelter's newest nitrous controller in my personal car for a couple of months now and thought I'd post up about it.

I was already spraying using an HSW microedge. I liked the microedge because I thought it did everything I thought I wanted to do and it did so reliably. I've used the microedge since it came out without complaints.

I didn't know what I was missing. This Lingenfelter controller is NICE. I utilized every function I could just to say I did and now I would prefer to never give them up. I spray the fuel slightly before the nitrous to eliminate the quick lean spike I had before. I use the nitrous pressure switch they offer to control my bottle heater for me. I got the fuel pressure sending unit they offer in case fuel pressure drops. I hooked up the clutch input for an additional safety. I have my AFR run into it via the wiring from my AEM wideband gauge. Obviously these are in addition to the simple and common features of delay after launch, WOT, RPM windows, etc.

My favorite simple function is that I have a prosport gauge in the car that you can hook up to be a different color at night than in the day (like many aftermarket gauges of course) but I was only using it blue all the time, so I used the shift light output from the Lingenfelter box to change my gauge color to it's alternate color (red) as a shift light.

My car is a C5 Corvette, but newer vehicles that do not use a simple on/off clutch switch and have a clutch position sensor are fully supported as well.

There are numerous things it does that I didn't use. It will progressively control two stages or nitrous with completely programmable ramp in rates, as well as many other things. It is impressively capable.

Last but not least, it includes software that allows you to completely set up your parameters and save multiple setups from your PC. You don't have to sit in the vehicle and go through it all. I'll include a couple screenshots of that.

Here are some pics of it at unboxing and in the car.

I read through the instructions and verified where everything was and would be coming from on my test mule first:

The instruction manual and the included flash drive with the PC software on it

The wiring isn't simply tagged with a label that you'll rip off and have to retrace your routing to verify what you're hooking up, it is printed with it's purpose on the insulation.

There are independent harnesses for the nitrous and fuel pressure sending units if you go that route

Simple panel made from stuff I had laying around

IN!

Powered up and ready for my street test

The existing setup in the rear, all you have to do back here is install the nitrous pressure sending unit

Now just swap from street tires to drag wheels and hit the track So far, I've had no issues and I'm not giving this controller up.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I got the fuel pressure sending unit they offer in case fuel pressure drops
Not sure I fully understand... is this just like the FPSS, except the controller monitors it? I'm assuming you can set your minimum fuel pressure before cutting the nitrous off?

I'm not sure what the HSW box you had does, but is it the one where you could do a direct dry port if you wanted? If yes, can this Lingenfelter unit add extra fuel via the injectors?

Does this thing pull timing, like Lingenfelter's timing puller, or is that still something that must be purchased separately?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Somebody09
Not sure I fully understand... is this just like the FPSS, except the controller monitors it? I'm assuming you can set your minimum fuel pressure before cutting the nitrous off?

I'm not sure what the HSW box you had does, but is it the one where you could do a direct dry port if you wanted? If yes, can this Lingenfelter unit add extra fuel via the injectors?

Does this thing pull timing, like Lingenfelter's timing puller, or is that still something that must be purchased separately?
Yes, if you notice my picture of it powered up it shows fuel pressure PSI on the display, it will monitor it.

Honestly, I don't know anything about doing a direct port dry shot. That's outside of my realm of experience. I wouldn't think this controller could do that based on my understand of everything it does.

You can create a progressive spark retard by combining this unit with the LNC-2000 launch controller.

Instructions for this unit and a download of the computer software to preview the settings and how you would do it all can be found here: http://www.lingenfelter.com/downloads

Here is their description of this product:

There are few Nitrous Controllers on the market that can come close to the feature set offered by the Lingenfelter Performance Engineering NCC-001 Nitrous Control Center. The NCC-001 is capable of controlling up to four stages of nitrous if the fuel supply is controlled by the ECM or other method, with many different available triggering and disabling input options available for each. The NCC-001 controller interface is designed for ease of use and access at the track as all of the settings and options available in the NCC-001 software program are also available on the controller itself. The NCC-001 controller also features enough internal memory to save three user-defined nitrous programs for quick access in the case that track conditions change and a different setup is desired.

While the NCC-001 Nitrous Control Center can be installed into virtually any vehicle, it was especially designed for late model EFI vehicles. Special attention was paid to integrating the NCC-001 into GM LS powered vehicles including:

1998-2002 Camaro
1997-2012 Corvette
2010-2013 Camaro SS
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO

The NCC-001 NOS Controller does not include the harness or sensors which can be purchased separately if you want them. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for related items. The harness is color coded and each wire is clearly marked for each device.

The features alluded to already, as well as the numerous other features listed in the following section, make the NCC-001 Nitrous Control Center from Lingenfelter Performance Engineering one of the most advanced Nitrous Controllers available while still offering the ease of use that renders it practical for seasoned race veterans and weekend racers alike.

Two independent progressive stages of nitrous and fuel
Independent control of both nitrous and fuel duty cycle for each stage
Timer/RPM based output (+12V)
Relay output (+12V) - programmable based on any combination of: Arming input, clutch input, shift input, TPS%, AFR, Nitrous1 %, Fuel1 %, Nitrous2 %, Fuel2 %, RPM, MPH, Fuel PSI, Nitrous PSI
Relay output (Ground) - programmable based on any combination of: Arming input, clutch input, shift input, TPS%, AFR, Nitrous1 %, Fuel1 %, Nitrous2 %, Fuel2 %, RPM, MPH, Fuel PSI, Nitrous PSI
Shift light output, +12 volt
Analog voltage output, programmable - for sending to a data acquisition system or to an ECM for external fuel or spark control. Also can link to the LNC-2000 for progressive timing retard on GM LSx V8 engine vehicles
PWM output for future features - not currently enabled in the software
5 volt and ground output for Fuel Pressure and Nitrous Pressure sensors for improved signal accuracy
Arming input Ground or +12 volt selectable
Clutch input - for clutch switch or WOT switch enable input Ground or +12 volt selectable
Shift input - for gear position Ground or +12 volt selectable
Nitrous bottle pressure input, 0-5 volt
Fuel pressure input, 0-5 volt
AFR input, 0-5 volt
TPS input - accepts rising and falling voltage signal sensors, 0-5 volt
Two analog inputs - accepts rising and falling voltage clutch position sensors, 0-5 volt
Frequency input vehicle speed, possible other inputs later
Software enable/disable pull-up resistor on frequency input
Engine speed tach input
Software enable/disable pull-up resistor on tachometer input
Time based safety over-ride
Fuel pressure safety over-ride
Air fuel ratio safety over-ride
Closed loop bottle heater control using relay output and nitrous pressure input
Time based nitrous control
RPM based nitrous enable
MPH based nitrous enable
Gear position based nitrous enable
Independent Stage 1 and Stage 2 delay adjustments
User configurable between Hold & Wait or full reset when activation is removed and re-enabled. Hold & Wait resumes the progressive system at the point where the system was disabled for example, where the throttle was released
Independent Stage 1 and Stage 2 nitrous and fuel resume ramp rates
Independent Stage 1 and Stage 2 fuel advance settings that allow you to fine tune the system so that the low pressure fuel is delivered to the engine at the same time or before the high pressure nitrous, helping reduce the chances of initial lean spikes when each stage of nitrous is activated
Multiple solenoid frequency settings independent for Stage 1 & 2
PC programmable via USB interface and Windows XP, Vista or 7
No PC required - can be programmed at the unit
Saves three (3) different programs user settings on the unit
Built in display to view inputs, outputs and settings
Data logging built in PC required to read and view data. All channels logged at 100 samples second. 25 second logging time
Nitrous user settings stored in each data log for ease of recalling past nitrous settings
Free software updates PC & Internet access required

WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whoa that is crazy ****. Me wants...
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would you compare it to the NLR NMS-1000?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
How would you compare it to the NLR NMS-1000?
Wow, I guess I didn't have a subscription set up for this thread, sorry.

I've never used that controller, so I could not comment on that.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Too bad it doesn't have computer interface capability/GUI. IMO, I think that would make it a better product.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Launching!

ya i looked at lnc video of this , and i so want it, even tho its does way more then i need its just nice to have the options when u want them.

here is a video of what it can do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDVHB7mlCI
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NCC computer interface

What type of computer interface are you looking for?

The NCC-001 can be connected to a PC via a USB cable and can be reprogrammed via the PC interface. The different programs can be saved and viewed on the PC. The data logs for the on-board data logging can be read from the NCC and viewed on a PC.

What else are you looking for in PC interface/GUI?

l
Originally Posted by Burrhos
Too bad it doesn't have computer interface capability/GUI. IMO, I think that would make it a better product.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
What type of computer interface are you looking for?

The NCC-001 can be connected to a PC via a USB cable and can be reprogrammed via the PC interface. The different programs can be saved and viewed on the PC. The data logs for the on-board data logging can be read from the NCC and viewed on a PC.

What else are you looking for in PC interface/GUI?

l
That's exactly what I was looking for. From the pictures posted, it looked like all the programming etc was done with the module itself. I saw no reference of a GUI or computer programmability.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel pressure and AFR based safety

Yes, it is a bit like a fuel pressure safety switch (FPSS) except the NCC is monitoring a fuel pressure sensor and then you program when to disable the nitrous based on:
  • Fuel pressure to disable nitrous
  • Fuel pressure disable delay time
  • Min nitrous precent for fuel pressure disable

The time below the pressure is used in case you have noise spikes or other erratic readings that might trigger the nitrous disable.

The % of nitrous variable is used so that the nitrous doesn't get disabled as it ramps in (for example - only disable the nitrous once above 20% nitrous duty cycle).

The air fuel ratio (AFR) based safety disable is done in a very similar way. You program the following variables:
  • AFR to disable nitrous
  • AFR disable delay time
  • Min nitrous percent for AFR disable

Regarding the direct dry port and fuel control, the NCC can output an analog voltage signal that is proportional to the amount of nitrous to an external device. The analog output can be connected to racing/aftermarket engine management systems or an auxiliary injector controller to add fuel based on the nitrous percentage. You can also connect this analog signal to an OEM GM ECM using a custom EFILive E85/nitrous operating system calibration. When the output is activated the ECM switches to a different fueling and spark table. This allows the analog output to activate additional fuel when the nitrous is active. That is what we are doing on our 1250 rwhp LS9 Camaro SS. The two stages of nitrous (500HP total) are all fueled via the 8 primary injectors. We are only spraying nitrous into the supercharger - no fuel. This makes plumbing the nitrous system much easier, provides more even fuel distribution and reduces the changes of fuel related back-fire events.

Originally Posted by Somebody09

Last edited by Jason Haines @ LPE; 12-08-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Clarification of info
Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 AM
8 Second Club

I also suffer from a momentary lean spike at actuation. When you eliminate this
spike by activating the fuel first.....is there a noticeable difference in the engine
performance? or just peace of mind?

I am considering this unit for that option alone.

Quick Reply: My Lingenfelter Nitrous Controller experience