Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting Front Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Front Springs?

Okay so i got some thick sidewall DR's and stock suspension on 17" wheels and it looks hella 4x4 so i know some of you will be totally against this and some of you wont so please dont chime in with any negativity.

I want 10's on "stock" suspension so i dont want to change anything per se. But has anyone got pics of them cutting their front springs? I cut a coil off my rear and dropped maybe an inch so today im going to hose mod the rear and cut the fronts. Im looking for about an inch and a half drop in the front. I just really hate to pull the entire front end apart for 30 seconds of cutting...

Another idea is to use these: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/imag...e/MRG-1280.jpg

I used them on my foxbody with no issues.

Any input will help! Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd cut. Sometimes disassembly is time consuming but it's the name of the game.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There are guys on here that have compressed the fronts and cut them on the car. Doesn't seem feasible to me but they have done it. If you do a search you might find some examples with pics.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
There are guys on here that have compressed the fronts and cut them on the car. Doesn't seem feasible to me but they have done it. If you do a search you might find some examples with pics.
Shiiiit.... Id like to keep my fingers, thanks!

Cutting is honestly not a bad option. I run BMRs, but on my 383 car im about to cut the stockers and hose mod. IIRC cutting only adds roughly 30lbs per coil cut? The ride should be alright.

Youd need to cut about 2 coils for 1.5". Maybe a little under 2.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

And think of it this way.. Youre pulling the front end apart for 20 minutes of work, but its FREE lowering for your 45 minutes pulling it apart you saved 225$. Bada bing, bada boom. Coils cut, cars lower, rides not fucked, everyones happy.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

While we never advise anyone cut their factory springs, we especially would never suggest anyone keep the spring in tension while cutting a coil or two off. There is a lot of stored energy a spring that has to go somewhere. Could be a scary split second once the cut is made - or worse. Just do it the right way and go to a parts store and use one of their lender spring compressor.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Bmr springs pwn all others

The stance on my 30th ann with bmr/bilstein, 18/19 c6's = boner
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the rather "energetic" spring compressor failure I had when I was installing my Stranos, I wouldn't want a running grinder anywhere near a car spring - compressed under car weight or using spring compressors. Way too easy to lose important body parts or a chunk of your head from catastrophic spring decompression alone, completely ignoring the big spinning grinder in your hands.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Launching!

If you cut the front springs while compressed and still contained inside the shock assembly with the upper mount intact, it's very safe. Even if the spring compressor fails, the spring will have nowhere to go.

Fyi, after doing some weight reduction and losing about 450lbs out of the car, the front end looked like it didn't have a motor in it. After cutting one front coil off each side, it looks better. I would say now its back to its stock ride height.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cranny
If you cut the front springs while compressed and still contained inside the shock assembly with the upper mount intact, it's very safe. Even if the spring compressor fails, the spring will have nowhere to go.

Fyi, after doing some weight reduction and losing about 450lbs out of the car, the front end looked like it didn't have a motor in it. After cutting one front coil off each side, it looks better. I would say now its back to its stock ride height.
If the spring compressor fails, it explodes. There's a huge amount of kinetic energy being stored in a spring under compression, so it's not like the spring compressor just falls apart if it fails - believe me, I've been there and it wasn't fun It's not the spring going anywhere that's the dangerous part, it's the whole "having a big spinning wheel that cuts **** on a spring when a large amount of kinetic energy is released" when you cut the spring, especially when your face and hands are pretty close to both the spring and the big spinning grindy wheel of death.

It's not safe. That's all there is to it.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Oh I see. You're talking about the compressor breaking and turning itself into a grenade. I can see how that could be trouble.

But I think if you're using a good quality compressor, not some harbor freight junk, and using common sense, it's a fairly safe job. I have 2 sets (4 compressors) of OTC spring compressors that attach to the outside of the springs. 2 should do the job, but I always put 3 compressors spaced evenly around the spring.

Now when doing this, if you compress the spring while it is still mounted inside the shock assembly, you can safely cut off a lower coil. That lower coil must be free without any of the compressors touching it. There will be zero tension at the point you're cutting on.

If someone doesn't have the common sense, experience, proper tools or comprehension to understand how to do this, I don't suggest them attempting to try. I've done this on my car and a dozen others never with an issue of danger or safety.

Quick Reply: Cutting Front Springs?