Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

stock LQ4 and boost. How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default stock LQ4 and boost. How much is too much?

How much power can a stock LQ4 handle with a 76ish sized turbo take before something is likely to break? All supporting mods like intercooler, and a safe fuel setup along with a safe tune would be used.

Guys seem to be running consistently 600-700 RWHP all the time with no troubles. But what point do issues start to happen. 700 RWHP? 800 RWHP?

I realize there is not a specific point they will break every time. I am mearly trying to explore what guys have seem from experience.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone? Bueller? ...Bueller?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

700rwhp is the most I would personally go.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more to do with the tune I would say. If the tune is spot on then you are that much ahead of the game. Boost is almost irrelevant. If you put 5lbs to it and it goes lean then it won't matter. Just my opinion. I'm no expert.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
700rwhp is the most I would personally go.
Okay, but why? What specifically makes 700 RWHP your limit? Looking for details here.

Originally Posted by tennerv8
It's more to do with the tune I would say. If the tune is spot on then you are that much ahead of the game. Boost is almost irrelevant. If you put 5lbs to it and it goes lean then it won't matter. Just my opinion. I'm no expert.
I mentioned a safe tune would be utilized (along with all the supporting mods). It goes without saying if you don't have a good tune while using boost, its going to go pop.

Perhaps I should be asking for those that have pushed the limits and broke, what was the limiting factor? And what power level was the setup at?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought you were going 5.3? And shooting for 800. Skinnies gave you a lot of good info. Your going 6.0 now?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure what route I am taking for sure yet. Just trying to get info right now.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't wait to see which route you go. Good luck
Old 10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Can't wait to see which route you go. Good luck
Well thanks. I have friends that have gone with the 5.3 and others that have gone the LQ4 route, I just don't know.

Right now all I know is I want it to be a budget build and make some big power. Where I am torn is that I don't know that either the 5.3 or the LQ4 will handle 800-850 RWHP for years without modifying (as in rods, pistons ect.). Where I am specifically torn, is that if I have to change pistons, and rods ect., then I might as well stay with my aluminum LS1 block at that point, but if I do that, it won't really be a "budget build" anymore.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...00-hp-lq4.html
Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I saw that thread as well. Incredible on the stock block, but it just recently did those numbers. I don't see it lasting, and I am trying to find what the max power should be on the stock LQ4 that WILL last.

If that guys engine holds for years, I guess I'll have my answer, but I just don't think it's going to continue to hold.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
9 Second Club

Go read the thread again, he's been beating on it all year
Old 10-20-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shawnc16
Go read the thread again, he's been beating on it all year
I saw where he said he has driven with the combo for years, but if you look, he mentioned that the first dyno pull was on his DD setup and boost level, and that was mid 700's at the wheels, and that he cranked the boost up for the dyno. Since he jus posted it a few weeks ago, I am guessing he hasn't had much time on that setup with the 900 RWHP boost level. (Plus that's assuming he didn't turn the boost back down to his DD level he was at before).

I think his stock LQ4 can handle the big power, but if it was just for a dyno pull or just a few weeks of driving with it at 900 RWHP, I'd hardly call that a proven reliability setup. Time will tell.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive been beating the **** outta my 5.3 all year prob 30 passes all low 9s high 8s. And i have been driving it alot too. How many passes do you normally run a year? If its 5 then thats 6 years, lots of others have done it alot longer and everyone says the tune is key.

My truck hooks in wet grass and most times anything above 15psi (700whp) blows the tires off, you wont be driving around with your track tune. Skinneys has been making over 850whp along with a few others for several years. The stock stuff is well proven and my bet would be that you will break transmissions, axles and lots of other stuff before the motor expires as long as the tune is good.

How fast do you want to go? Whats the ET goal again?

If someone has been sucessful with a combo that you would like to duplicate then take their advise very seriously. Reinventing the wheel may have you running into issues
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

If the car is not going to be a consistent track visitor then you should not worry about the engine having to handle much more than 600 hp. Unless you will be doing ricer style 150 mph kicks on the highway you will never see enough boost to make 800 hp. 5.3's are $400 if you blow one up its not a big deal you go buy another one, that is the advantage of them over building a $8000 6 liter that only runs 11s and lasts forever.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Chris,

Again, this is for a street car that will see the track maybe just a half dozen times a year at the most, but beaten on with WOT regularly, and at a MPH that it will get traction. My goals aren't in quarter mile times and MPH, but a power and reliability level on a budget build. I know I may not be like many on here that are looking for track cars that see the street.

The transmission I have should hold way more than I could push, and I plan on making the rest of the drivetrain similar. I know traction will be an issue, but that really isn't the goal on the street either. Not trying to re-invent the wheel at all. Specifically that's why I started the thread to see where other people have taken the envelope and where problems have or have not arrived given an amount of time.

I may end up just doing either the 5.3 or the LQ4 and just seeing what it does and how long it lasts with minimal work.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

You can crank up the boost to max out at whatever you want, doesn't mean yur gonna be drving at WOT everywhere you go. I would say mid 700's on pump gas is "safe" and after that you're looking at race gas or e85 is still an option but not for everyone. Are you looking for a max number or a reliable max number?

Originally Posted by CALL911
I saw where he said he has driven with the combo for years, but if you look, he mentioned that the first dyno pull was on his DD setup and boost level, and that was mid 700's at the wheels, and that he cranked the boost up for the dyno. Since he jus posted it a few weeks ago, I am guessing he hasn't had much time on that setup with the 900 RWHP boost level. (Plus that's assuming he didn't turn the boost back down to his DD level he was at before).

I think his stock LQ4 can handle the big power, but if it was just for a dyno pull or just a few weeks of driving with it at 900 RWHP, I'd hardly call that a proven reliability setup. Time will tell.

Last edited by shawnc16; 10-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 PM
8 Second Club

Bigger is better that is it. Can you make awesome power on a 5.3? Yes. But why not start big and when you upgrade from a 6.0 your that little bit ahead of tthe game. It all depends on budget. But I'm sure people will go back and forth. Either way you go is the right way in my opinion .....any LS motor is awesome with a turbo
Old 10-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW.....a friend of mine has been beating the **** out of his factory stock iron block with a 76mm turbo on 93 octane for about 1 year now, I think a 5.3 engine. Makes around 750 RWHP.

BONE STOCK 5.3L.....through a mildly built $300 junk yard 4L80E.

I think its great when tons of power are made on the CHEAP......

Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911

Actually it's been making that power off and on for well over a year now, but as we know BIG power and stock parts will only last so long, or until there is a misshap like a meth pump, map sensor etc. I'ts been rattled a few times from from both of those but thankfully I caught it in time. I ran the 9.7 with similar or more power than that, and have done a lot of racing with it over the summer on that setting, and a couple times at 22~23psi. Another thing to note is the dyno I ran on was sae #'s and reads on the low side. Im running thru a 4L80E, transfer case that turns front driveline, and front diff even in 2wd. Add that to the stock truck acc's with power steering, a/c belt, etc and there is a lot of power being gobbled up. I'll put $ on it that this combo goes 1000HP when I put it in my car with the glide and less acc's. I plan on pulling it down and checking everything out this winter it just has to make this last 2500mi road trip with some pretty hard racing and dyno pulls hope she makes it thru

Last edited by stock48; 10-20-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply: stock LQ4 and boost. How much is too much?