Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1999 Z28 oem exhaust brackets/mounts, please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 1999 Z28 oem exhaust brackets/mounts, please HELP

I'm installing a whole brand new exhaust system (TSP LTs and Y-pipe, SLP PowerFlo catback) on a friend's '99 Z28 which previously had an aftermarket exhaust installed and it was a "hack job" to say the least. Problem is some oem exhaust brackets/mounts are not in the stock locations, etc. My main concerns are, 1) exactly where are ALL the factory mounts and brackets located?, and 2) where can I find oem exhaust mounts/brackets to replace the ones that have previously been removed from the car?

For example, I noticed there are a couple mounts that bolt to the car behind the axles on both sides. The passenger side mount is there but the driver side mount is not. These mounts are not available at the local auto parts stores. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just removed mine on sunday, it has 1 on driver's side frame rail, one on passenger's side frame rail, and one in front of the axle that the intermediate pipe hangs on.

i see the hangers on ebay
Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

The factory system only had three hangers (front to back):

1) Passenger side of Y-pipe just behind the transmission.

2) Intermediate pipe on passenger side of frame rail where it crosses over the axle.

3) Tail pipe on driver's side of frame rail near the rear of the car, almost parallel with the muffler.

Many aftermarket catbacks add two additional hangers at the end of each tail pipe/tip close to where the bumper attaches to the frame on each side. But this never appeared on any stock 4th gen except for cars that were optioned with the SLP dual/dual.

Factory hangers are still available through the GM dealer to the best of my knowledge. The intermediate pipe hanger that goes over the axle is one part (hanger and insulator combined), but the driver's side tail pipe hanger is a two-piece unit (hanger and insulator separate) that must be ordered as two pieces and then assembled. And I think those insulators must be ordered in packs of 6. As for the stock Y-pipe hanger, I believe this is a one-piece part to order, but I don't recall 100% for sure.

Hope that helps.

PS. Somewhere I have the GM part numbers for the I-pipe hanger and the two piece tail pipe hanger, but they are not handy. If you really need them, let me know and I will try to look them up.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

RPM WS6, thank you for the helpful info. I know I'm going to be ordering at least the hanger above the driver side tailpipe that bolts to the framerail because that one is not there for sure. If you could find any part numbers I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
RPM WS6, thank you for the helpful info. I know I'm going to be ordering at least the hanger above the driver side tailpipe that bolts to the framerail because that one is not there for sure. If you could find any part numbers I would greatly appreciate it.
Glad to help.

Here is what I have in the way of part numbers. These are from an invoice dated 2004 so it's possibile that some may have been changed or discontinued, but it's a starting point that you can work with to have the dealer look up:

Over the axle I-pipe hanger + insulator: #10275709

Insulator for the driver's side tail pipe hanger (pack of 5): #10243316

Then I have two other part numbers that for some reason I neglected to mark as which was which. One of these numbers is for the elbow piece that attaches the over axle I-pipe hanger to the I-pipe itself (this item is deleted with some aftermarket catbacks). The other part number is for the hanger that attaches to the frame rail on the driver's side for the tail pipe (goes with the insulator I listed above). These are the part numbers:

#10272958 (I suspect this one is the I-pipe elbow bracket)

#10407350 (I suspect this one is the driver's side frame rail tail pipe hanger)

Again, those last two numbers could be flipped since I didn't mark them clearly on my old invoice.

And lastly, I do not seem to have the part number for the Y-pipe hanger. I must never have needed that one in the past.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the responds, was good help.

Quick Reply: 1999 Z28 oem exhaust brackets/mounts, please HELP