LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Complete fuel system overhaul - advice/opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Complete fuel system overhaul - advice/opinions?

Ok everyone, my fuel pump just quit again, so I have a winter project ahead of me. here's the situation:

My level of knowledge on this subject
- very little

Engine configuration
- cam only car, making 375rwhp. would like room to grow to 450rwhp NA or spray.

Current fuel system - completely stock: injectors, lines, etc. Second delco pump just puked on me after I ran the tank somewhat low. (unsure if it was low enough to be the cause or not) Some friends have been telling me they think I am maxing my injectors. This latest delco pump only lasted about 15k miles so I question if that is adequate either.

Fuel line - Absolutely NEEDS to be relocated to the side of the car. Currently preventing me from running BOTH a tubular torque arm and my style of dual exhaust. The stock location is unsafe even if I can make it fit somehow.

Vehicle Usage - Car is a jack of all trades. Street, show, autocross, road race, drag race, road trips across the state...etc. Reliability is #1.

Budget - would like to keep it to around $1k, but I can go higher if there is justification
First question - should I go with an in-tank setup like the racetronix? or should I go with an inline/sump setup like an A1000? Keep in mind fuel lines need to be relocated anyway. My car is loud, so I am not necessarily concerned with noise. I dont however want to put a huge drain on the electrical system pumping tons of extra fuel in circles. Again, reliability is #1 here.

Second question - what should i do for lines and where can I find some how to's on this sort of thing? Should I use braided or custom bend new hardline? I want to replace everything from the tank to the rail.

Third question - what do I do with the fuel pressure regulator?

Fourth question - I also plan on doing a 24x conversion at the same time - will this cause any issues?

Fifth question - What size injectors should I be running. Would 30s be a good choice?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 10-19-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can say with any confidence is that 30lbs should be good for 450rwhp... If you plan to do any power adders after the 450 you would need to go higher. Don't forget you will also need to do a tune.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!

Is anyone here running an external Walbro? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GSL392/
Old 10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope always ran 1 inside the tank or 2 in the tank. I used to have my vortech on my lt1 and it came with the vortech boost a pump. WOrked well but much rather have it in the tank IMO
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boosted Firehawk
nope always ran 1 inside the tank or 2 in the tank. I used to have my vortech on my lt1 and it came with the vortech boost a pump. WOrked well but much rather have it in the tank IMO
Is that because of noise? Trying to get a grasp on why people prefer one or the other.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because with a stock tank-type configuration you need a good working in-tank pump. Inline pumps are only supplementary to a good in-tank pump.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have used Racetronix single pumps to over 700 RWHP on Gas and 600RWHP on E85. Stock lines are fine to 700 with 38PPH injectors(wet N2O)

If you have to move them then upgrade. -6 should be fine -8 would move more

You can use the stoc FPR or go with a good after market one your call
Old 10-21-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Because with a stock tank-type configuration you need a good working in-tank pump. Inline pumps are only supplementary to a good in-tank pump.
I'm assuming you mean in the situation where the tank isnt sumped or fitted with a bottom-feeding line? All the setups I have seen have been a single (or dual) external pump.

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
We have used Racetronix single pumps to over 700 RWHP on Gas and 600RWHP on E85. Stock lines are fine to 700 with 38PPH injectors(wet N2O)

If you have to move them then upgrade. -6 should be fine -8 would move more

You can use the stoc FPR or go with a good after market one your call
I appreciate the good info!

Quick Reply: Complete fuel system overhaul - advice/opinions?