Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another YT breakage

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another YT breakage

Lookie what I found today when I opened up my valvecover.

I'm up for suggestions on what rocket to get next. I know I should get Jesel's or TD's but don't have more then a grand laying around right now for rockers. Heads are AFR's with bronze valve guides so stock upgraded rockers are probably out for now also.

In case someone asks what the spring pressure was, I'm not exactly sure. Installed height is @1.775 with AFR 8019 springs. The specs at 1.81 are #155 and 1.210 is #412 so I figure around #450 give or take for my open pressure. Cam is a HUC lobe 624/632 lift.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say Jessels are about the only option unless you want to buy just one YT to replace the broken one until you can save up for the jessels......just remember shrapnel from a broken rocker can end up in pretty bad places and cost you your motor
Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch....ahhh yea, those are the old design YT rockers...they have since been Re-designed with more material to help prevent that. You can tell by how the "1.7" is stamped in the center of the rocker, the newer design has the "1.7" stamped off center
Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could go with some PRW stud mount 1.7 steel RR, #0234631 Platinum Series for about $310. I've been really considering them myself. FYI, you will need to use your factory or Lingenfelter rocker stands with these rockers.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Probably more than a few folks with spares from broken sets lying around.....in fact I have a couple. Same head spring setup as you, but only .600" lift.
How many miles before it broke?

BTW...broke right where they added material.

Might want to contact them.

From the Vette forum

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...round-2-a.html

Ron
Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah that's what I did. I used a set of my spare yt RRs, otherwise I would have probably already bought a set of the PRW steel RRs.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, got a set I just sent out the other day that broke in the same spot, along with NUMEROUS others!

Every set that has broken on us, we've replaced with the Jesel Sportsman Series Rockers and had no complaints or issues since.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't YT only warrant them up to 420# open pressure? I mean, this absolutely sucks but YT REALLY needs to let folks know this up front before they buy them. I know if I spent that on rockers and one broke I'd be "at the front door waiting for the doors to open" pissed.

I feel for you, OP
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much shim are you running under the rocker pedestal?

How many miles before this occurred?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vettenuts
How much shim are you running under the rocker pedestal?

How many miles before this occurred?
.090 shim and @8k, give or take.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FlamingTA
.090 shim and @8k, give or take.
Got to admit I am getting more nervous with each of these I read about. I am running AFR's with a 0.125" shim and perfectly centered wipe pattern. My lift is less than yours at 0.588" but I also only have 5K miles on the setup.

One difference though, I went with much stiffer 3/8 double tapered pushrods and found out that I had flex in the pushrods that was showing in the upper RPM. Not sure if this was a contributor in your case, but with more lift I would suspect you have a similar situation. I made this change 1,500 miles after installing the H/C with the YT's.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running some Manton 11/32. How much open pressure you at?

Got to admit I am getting more nervous with each of these I read about. I am running AFR's with a 0.125" shim and perfectly centered wipe pattern. My lift is less than yours at 0.588" but I also only have 5K miles on the setup.

One difference though, I went with much stiffer 3/8 double tapered pushrods and found out that I had flex in the pushrods that was showing in the upper RPM. Not sure if this was a contributor in your case, but with more lift I would suspect you have a similar situation. I made this change 1,500 miles after installing the H/C with the YT's.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FlamingTA
I'm running some Manton 11/32. How much open pressure you at?
With my lift I should be around 405 lb open (0.588" lift on my exhaust, intake is a smidge less). I am running Morel lifters on my setup.

I don't push the car too hard though but am still wondering at this point if it is a ticking time bomb.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should be just fine with your open pressure being lowish.

With my lift I should be around 405 lb open (0.588" lift on my exhaust, intake is a smidge less). I am running Morel lifters on my setup.

I don't push the car too hard though but am still wondering at this point if it is a ticking time bomb.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Mine are set at 1.810 with .600 lift.
However, seeings how I have been drag racing the car, have 40+ passes on it now, I wonder.
I can only imagine what could happen if one breaks at 6600.........

So looking at the Jessels, big $$$, and you have to hack up the valve covers and remove the baffles which will just cause other issues. Unless someone makes a spacer that allows the covers to be unmolested.

Arrrgh.....

Ron
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Mine are set at 1.810 with .600 lift.
However, seeings how I have been drag racing the car, have 40+ passes on it now, I wonder.
I can only imagine what could happen if one breaks at 6600.........

So looking at the Jessels, big $$$, and you have to hack up the valve covers and remove the baffles which will just cause other issues. Unless someone makes a spacer that allows the covers to be unmolested.

Arrrgh.....

Ron
We sell the UMI spacers and use them all the time.

http://www.tickperformance.com/umi-1...cover-spacers/
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

You may want to contact Jim at YT directly, someone posted they will warranty the rockers and replace with the new stronger design recently released. It is in the thread that is linked above by RonSSNova.

I would personally hate to go to a different rocker since new pushrods would likely be required which is a large expense as well. There were also some posts on lift limitations of the Jesel rockers which I believe you exceed so be careful moving to them without checking into this issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Yep, got a set I just sent out the other day that broke in the same spot, along with NUMEROUS others!

Every set that has broken on us, we've replaced with the Jesel Sportsman Series Rockers and had no complaints or issues since.
We're they the new improved series Y/T Martin or the old series ?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't understand why people are still willing to use these rockers considering all of the failures. When you think about it, the general public is being used as R&D for their company...only after a failure do they change the design. I guess that's better than doing nothing at all, but we're talking about a few hundred dollars worth of parts that can cause thousands in damage if the design isn't up to par, and so far, it hasn't been.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I just don't understand why people are still willing to use these rockers considering all of the failures. When you think about it, the general public is being used as R&D for their company...only after a failure do they change the design. I guess that's better than doing nothing at all, but we're talking about a few hundred dollars worth of parts that can cause thousands in damage if the design isn't up to par, and so far, it hasn't been.
No offense, but have you considered the tooling changes that YT needed to make to improve the design? I'm betting it was in the HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars range. I'm sure if the guys at YT had any idea that there would be failures with the initial run, they would have made the design stronger to begin with. That said, **** happens. I give them credit for stepping up, admitting there was a problem and improving the design. FWIW I'm running the new version and have no worries at all...

Quick Reply: Another YT breakage