Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 in a 72 Camaro - What setup? Eventual boost...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 5.3 in a 72 Camaro - What setup? Eventual boost...

Hi guys,

Well, a few months ago I bought a rough condition 72 Camaro. Kept the TH350, but sold the SBC 350 and bought a busted 5.3 from a friend for CHEAP. Busted ringland, but no scratches or marks on the cylinder walls. Bought a new piston for $25 shipped off Ebay and will be putting the two together.

The engine has the truck intake, but no accessories yet. Once in the 72, I'm looking at going front mount turbo. Sooooo, looking for suggestions for a cheap setup.

Main thing... I'm going to run factory 4th gen AC. In Vegas, it's too damn hot not to have AC.

Oh, one other thing. The car is a a friends house right now (bodyman). The 72 will be getting a 4th gen dash and interior, including the HVAC system from the 2000 Camaro.

Sooo, my main question is...

Do I run with a Truck setup (keep the truck intake and get truck accessories) or work towards an f-body setup (and get those accessories)?????

Also looking for suggestions on:

A) where to locate the turbo?
B) what manifolds to go with to get the turbo where it needs to be mounted?
C) what turbo to put on it (thinking BW right now), looking for 700 rwhp on 91 pump (is that possible?) (Will be running FMIC and Methanol/Water injection)

I'm also considering another rear mount, but would not have 2 rear mounts in the family.

Also thought about running twin turbo with smaller.

Open for discussion. It'll be a good 90 days before my car comes back from body/paint, but I want to start collecting engine components now.

Lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks for all the input you guys give!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If your ok with the look of it. The absolute cheapest way would be to keep all the truck stuff, mount the a/c compressor down low in the factory truck location (notch the frame) then flip the truck manifolds forward and upside down. Cut off the ends and weld on vbands to change the exit angle so they dont stick up stupid far.

If you did down and forward manifolds and up top accessories such as the Holley or vette bracket on the drivers side and a Kwik ac bracket on the passenger side, the ac compressor and big BW turbo will be fighting for space.

Something like this. A friends Chevelle, typhoon1015 on here.

Make sure to mockup the ENTIRE setup before making anything look pretty. The ac will complicate things greatly and you will have lots of things to plan out to pull it all together.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Well I just read a post on NastyZ28 about clearance issues with the truck intakes, and I don't have a cowl hood (nor want to put one on). So, I'm thinking I may have to go with the f-body accessories/intake setup. I may also have to drop down to an smaller turbo unit. I've had pretty good luck with my On3 and it's pretty small, so I may have to do the alt relocation bracket and some fancy running of the piping.

That setup in the pic is sick! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i say throw it in and whatever doesn't fit replace with something that does haha

that would be my action plan
Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by denmah
i say throw it in and whatever doesn't fit replace with something that does haha

that would be my action plan
LOL... YOU ARE A CRAZY MAN! I love it!

Unfortunately I don't have the variety of parts laying around to test fit. Was hoping for any advice on what is known to fit together.

Looks like I'll be gathering parts... lol

Quick Reply: 5.3 in a 72 Camaro - What setup? Eventual boost...