Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about the wiring for my swap......

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about the wiring for my swap......

I am putting a gen 4 into my 92 Z. I have the E38 pcm but no harness for my engine. What would everyone suggest I do for the wiring? I am backing the engine with a 6 speed. I have been able to find E38 harnesses pretty easy but none with a manual trans. Is this going to be an issue?
I would prefer to wire the engine myself instead of spending a fortune on a harness from Painless or another builder.
Will the harness from an 05-06 GTO work for this swap?

Thanks.

Last edited by Heritage Z; 10-21-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Launching!

You can use an automatic harness with a 6 speed - I did. I have a TR6060 with whats left of a truck auto harness. The manual trans sends VSS speed to the ECM - same plug as auto. The reverse lights hook up to the old wiring. The wiring to the auto (big round plug) can be removed. The 6 speed reverse lock out can be wired to the brake light switch to keep reverse locked unless brakes are on, or you can add wires and plug to the harness and program the computer to reverse lock out except at low speed. If you are familiar with wiring, and take your time to do good work, harness work is not hard.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Teching In

I can handle the wiring. I actually enjoy working with harnesses.I have all the tools for taking connectors apart, I just have to remember to bring them home from work. I just want to make sure whatever harness I find will work for what I have planned. I'd like to find one here pretty soon so I can work on it over the winter. I have seen several harnesses from Escalades for sale, not many from a GTO and I am pretty sure the GTO uses the same pcm as long as it is from a 05-06.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The 2005-2006 GTO uses a E40 PCM and it takes a black, blue and gray connector, the E38 PCM only uses 2 connectors, look at a 2007 corvette I believe they use the E38 pcm

Quick Reply: Quick question about the wiring for my swap......