Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced broken roller rocker, now idle and surging problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced broken roller rocker, now idle and surging problem

Changed oil last week and founder rocker bearings. Bought a new roller rocker from dealer and replaced the broken one. Since then, the car has been idling and running wierd. I have a MTI cam which has a pretty good lope, but it would idle steady at around 850 rpm. Hard to explain, but my exhuast would kind of be: blurp blurp, blurp blurp, etc... Now, it seems to be flowing right along with the lope of the cam: blurp, blurp, blurp. Pretty good pause between each. And now the car surges like crazy. Step on the gas and it's just dead and then all of a sudden the power will kick in. Doesn't matter what gear. Can kind of hear the exhaust gurgling, almost like it's clogged up or something. Like I said, all this started happening directly after the rocker replacement. I double checked all my wires and as far as I can tell, everything is hooked up. Broken rocker was on driver's side, so should just be the electrical connector for the coil pack, and the grommet towards the back of the valve covers, and double checked all my plug wires, they are on snug.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but my traction control isn't working now. This also started up right after the rocker install. Turn on the car, the buttom will light up, and then go out and the traction control light will light up on the dash. I'm not complaining about it, I hate traction control, but it's never done that before, and combined with my other issues, I just don't have a clue what the hell is going on. Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the electrical connection on the MAP sensor on the back of the intake manifold.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check compresion and push rod on the cyl which had bad rocker , I think misfires are problem with traction control also
good luck,Johnny