Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to consider when adding 150 shot to cammed LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to consider when adding 150 shot to cammed LS1?

As with a cam install where you want to upgrade springs and pushrods, fuel pump, and might as well do oil pump and timing chain, what are some things that SHOULD be upgraded when you want to add a 150 shot?

I've got a 64k mile 02Z28 with bolt on's(UD pulleys, lid, ls6 intake, long tubes and duals) a 228R cam, PTC 3200 converter and built 4l60e, and a factory 3.23 rear end. With the cam I added .675 dual valve springs, hardened pushrods, walbro 255 w/hotwire kit, high pressure oil pump, and an ls2 timing chain.

What are some things to consider when adding a 150 shot to this setup? It would most likely be a dry 150 shot. I figure injectors but I am not sure.

Also would spray prefer the 3.23 rear end or a 3.73?

Thanks guys

Last edited by TwitchZ28; 10-22-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planing on running a dry system than yes you will need to upgrade the injectors so it will be able to supply the additional fuel through them. The fuel pump that you have right now will be plenty to support a 150hp shot

As far as gears go the nitrous really doesn't rely on them so much like a turbo would but you will want to gear it for the size of track that you are going to run on.

The other things that you will need to do to support the nitrous is change your spark plugs to a colder plug somewhere along 1-2 steps colder than stock depending on how much you are going to spray. I have always had really good luck with using NGK BR7EF plugs for up to a 250 hp shot.

You will also need to pull the appropriate amount of timing generally 2 degrees for every 50hp worth of nitrous.

If there is anything else you have questions with just let me know.

Trey
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
If you are planing on running a dry system than yes you will need to upgrade the injectors so it will be able to supply the additional fuel through them. The fuel pump that you have right now will be plenty to support a 150hp shot

As far as gears go the nitrous really doesn't rely on them so much like a turbo would but you will want to gear it for the size of track that you are going to run on.

The other things that you will need to do to support the nitrous is change your spark plugs to a colder plug somewhere along 1-2 steps colder than stock depending on how much you are going to spray. I have always had really good luck with using NGK BR7EF plugs for up to a 250 hp shot.

You will also need to pull the appropriate amount of timing generally 2 degrees for every 50hp worth of nitrous.

If there is anything else you have questions with just let me know.

Trey
Thanks a lot trey. I was pretty sure I was going to have to change the injectors and run colder plugs. I will check out those plugs for sure. I think I will end up with 3.73 gears.

With that setup how much of a difference in power and driveability will I feel running a nitrous tune when I am just putting around town? I daily the car and only track it once in a great while so if I am going to have to live with a lousy tune so it can shine on spray day I may go another route. All tuning on it has been done with HPTuners.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

If you already have the gears 373 would be great. If you were looking to buy gears 3.42 would be a great gear choice.

Fuel system look good as far as for a wet shot. As stated about dry i would change out for some 42's. It would allow some growth in the future.

br7's plugs gapped at .032 should get you going to about 200hp shots. then change to 8's.

With the nitrous tune on all the time you will be looking to have about 6 degrees pulled for a 150 shot. This will effect you hp when no spraying. You will loose about 20-30 hp with that timing pulled.

I would recommend the LNC-2000 by lingenfelter. That way you could have your timing pulled for nitrous and run max timing on NA when dailying the car.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
If you already have the gears 373 would be great. If you were looking to buy gears 3.42 would be a great gear choice.

Fuel system look good as far as for a wet shot. As stated about dry i would change out for some 42's. It would allow some growth in the future.

br7's plugs gapped at .032 should get you going to about 200hp shots. then change to 8's.

With the nitrous tune on all the time you will be looking to have about 6 degrees pulled for a 150 shot. This will effect you hp when no spraying. You will loose about 20-30 hp with that timing pulled.

I would recommend the LNC-2000 by lingenfelter. That way you could have your timing pulled for nitrous and run max timing on NA when dailying the car.
Thanks for the responce neal. I currently have 3.23s and have been wanting 3.73s for a couple reasons. 1. to tighten up the converter for daily driving and make it feel a little more like stock. 2. I rode in a buddy's car that had the same setup as mine with a stock converter and 3.73s and his hit really hard and pulled strong. From a 40 roll he was door to door with me through 110 and he is on a stock converter. To me this means his gears cancelled out my convter leaving us even.

I don't think I could justify paying to have the 3.42s set up...I just don't think there would be a big enough difference in feel. Is there any reason in particular 3.73s would be a worse choice than 3.42s or 3.23s?

So 42lb injectors and br7 plugs gapped correctly for a 150. I don't plan on ever increasing the shot(I say that now) but it's nice to know I can if I want with that setup.

I will definately be looking into that Lingenfelter controller if I spray...I don't want to drive around with 6 degrees of retarded timing and be that down on power all the time. That would basically negate my cam gains and make me sad haha.

I'm still thinking I want to stick with dry...just seems like less to fiddle with. I could be wrong though i'm a N2O novice. I would consider wet more if it wasn't for the horror backfire stories I hear. Knowing my luck I would forget and get out of it and end up with a puddle and a backfire. Sounds too risky for me.

Quick Reply: Things to consider when adding 150 shot to cammed LS1?