Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anybody road race their Procharger(or any other centrifugal SC) LSx??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody road race their Procharger(or any other centrifugal SC) LSx??

I am thinking of doing a FI setup with my LSx conversion in my '95 Caprice. I am sweet on the Prochargers for their simiplicity, self contained oiling system and the centis from what I gather have the least heat soak problems of all the FI setups with the compressor mounted up and away from the engine heat sources.

So for all you guys (and gals) who run the Procharger and other centrifulgals how are they on the road course with elevated IATs, oil and coolant temps increase creep during a good 20 to 30 minute roadrace session???

What are the setup tricks they you employ to keep those things under control??

How do increase the midrange torque in a centrifugal to help in the road course. Because it seens that the positive displacement types like the Roots and Twin Screw styles have big advantage over the centrifugal in this regard. After all of the non-turbo SC setups the the OEMs use are all positive displacements and no centrifulgals.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to bob at brute speed
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As for wanting more midrange torque, I would argue against it. Too much midrange torque and you blow off the tires coming out of a turn when you roll into the throttle, which is dangerous. With a centri blower, how much torque is dependant on engine rpm, so if you want more torque coming out of a corner, be in a lower gear to raise the rpms. The last thing you want is an instant change in torque because it will be of no use.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

I plan on it this next year, Im prob not planning on over 10 psi though
Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by js2fst
Talk to bob at brute speed

http://www.procharger.com/supercharger/blog/?p=178
Thanks! We built a Corvette at the old shop for road racing and it worked out very well. The customer used it for two years on a 2.1 mile road course with a D-1SC at 16 psi on the stock crankshaft at 740 rwhp before the engine needed new rings. We then built a new engine for this Corvette and went with an F-1C head unit. Heat was our largest hurdle as C5's don't get a lot of airflow. The vented hood and open grille helped out, but a large engine oil cooler dropped the engine temps more than anything else. The customer didn't have any problems harnessing the engines power, he was actually always wanting even more. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default Lack of low & midrange TQ is the centris Achilles' Heel!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
As for wanting more midrange torque, I would argue against it. Too much midrange torque and you blow off the tires coming out of a turn when you roll into the throttle, which is dangerous. With a centri blower, how much torque is dependant on engine rpm, so if you want more torque coming out of a corner, be in a lower gear to raise the rpms. The last thing you want is an instant change in torque because it will be of no use.

The reason I brought up the desire for more midrange torque is that the centris make their torque and HP peak at or near redline. When you are coming off a sharp hairpin with your engine is at idle and you don't have a manual trans where you can use engine braking to keep up your revs, you need good midrange torque power out of the curve.

The OEMs always use the positive displacement superchargers not centrifugals. One reason is that the positive displacement superchagers make massive amounts of low to midrange torque which is clearly more fun on the street. But I recently saw in one of the Chevy mags last month, either Chevy High Performance or Super Chevy where an engine builder/tuner uses a turbo wastegate to regulate the boost on a Procharger equipped LS3 in a 5th Gen Camaro. The theory being using a small pulley to overboost during the midrange revs and use the wastegate to blow off the excess boost.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by B'klyn9C1
The reason I brought up the desire for more midrange torque is that the centris make their torque and HP peak at or near redline. When you are coming off a sharp hairpin with your engine is at idle and you don't have a manual trans where you can use engine braking to keep up your revs, you need good midrange torque power out of the curve.

The OEMs always use the positive displacement superchargers not centrifugals. One reason is that the positive displacement superchagers make massive amounts of low to midrange torque which is clearly more fun on the street. But I recently saw in one of the Chevy mags last month, either Chevy High Performance or Super Chevy where an engine builder/tuner uses a turbo wastegate to regulate the boost on a Procharger equipped LS3 in a 5th Gen Camaro. The theory being using a small pulley to overboost during the midrange revs and use the wastegate to blow off the excess boost.
Look into the F1D procharger head unit. Its supposed to make more low and mid range power than the D1SC.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks for heads up!

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Look into the F1D procharger head unit. Its supposed to make more low and mid range power than the D1SC.
Thanks Brian for the suggestion. I looked over that post by Bob@Brutespeed and he used a F1C Procharger head unit for that road racing C5 build that is featured on the Procharger website. So there must be something to it.

BTW in that magazine article where they used a turbo wastegate it was a regular D1SC headunit for the 2010 Camaro kit.

Quick Reply: Anybody road race their Procharger(or any other centrifugal SC) LSx??