Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3/blowthru GT45 Notch Build

Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3/blowthru GT45 Notch Build

Been working on this for a little while and figured I'd make a thread on it.

Started with a 93 Mustang coupe that was a four cylinder car. It was my first car and I really wanted to build it, but the project became overwhelming so I got rid of it when I found the a clean 91 5.0 5 speed notch roller. So anyways, onto the pictures.

Bringing the new car home and taking the old car away.

Got it in the driveway and cleaned up, and threw the hood from the old car on it.

The engine is a 5.3 out of an 01 Silverado. As of right now its all stock, but I'm planning to do LS9 valve springs and try to track down either an LS6 cam, or swap to an LS9 setup. Or may just get it running with the stock cam and change it later. Turbo is an ebay GT45.

Got a charge pipe from a buddy and picked up an A1000 and filter out of another buddy's car. Also have -10 and -8 stuff from the old car that I'll be using. Will have to get the tank sumped over the winter.

Got a used reverse pattern quarter stick and bought some Vbands to weld onto the truck manifolds.

Picked up a carb locally that has already been modified for blow thru. Proform HP style main body with air bleeds, nitro floats, rear jet extensions, 4.5" PV, sealed throttle shafts, and annular boosters. Should work nicely.

Welded the Vbands to the truck manifolds.

Started tacking together the hotside. Waiting to get the merge pipe back from my buddy who is welding it up for me. Also, at that point, I didn't want to go any further without the engine in the car.

Pulled the stock K member out. Car already has a Flaming River rack, which I'm looking to get rid of since I have the one from the old car, and SN95 brakes.

The engine bay minus K member. Still has the 5.0 harness in it which needs to go.

Put my AJE K member in from the old car, and also put coilovers in while I was at it. And yes, I know the rotors are junk.

Got the engine in and started mocking the turbo up. Turbo is hanging from the cherry picker. Also, looks like the charge pipe will work, just need to pick up the carb hat still.

Had to notch one of the sway bar mounts for the Vband to fit, but other than that everything fit great.

Going to have to see if the 4" cowl hood clears the charge pipe. Worst case I'll have to cut a small hole in the hood.

Got the car back on the ground with the black Pro Stars and MT ET Streets and the same hood, just done in black.

Cleaned the engine bay up a bit. Got the 5.0 harness almost all the way out, just have to pull it out of the firewall, which sucks.

Got the shifter in the car. Still need to get a plate over the shifter hole, but got the console clearanced for the quarter stick.

Then where I'm at now is I have a TH400 core I got pretty cheap. Pulled it apart and everything looked good until I got to the rear section. Looks like I'm either going to have to find some hard parts or just find a new tranny. Converter is a ~3000 stall off the shelf Hughes converter with low miles.

And thats where I'm at for now. I'll try to post updates as they come.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Launching!

No intercooler? No e85? Any power or track goals? I like the blowthru. Not that many people doing it in the ls world. It looks great so far!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that your final belt setup? I think you are going to need more wrap on the crank and water pump.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
No intercooler? No e85? Any power or track goals? I like the blowthru. Not that many people doing it in the ls world. It looks great so far!
Thanks. Yeah, forgot to mention it will be on E85, and double as the intercooler. No power goals, but hope to run at least 10.90s.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Is that your final belt setup? I think you are going to need more wrap on the crank and water pump.
Copied a guy locally with the same setup and he said it works fine for him.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93NotchLX
Thanks. Yeah, forgot to mention it will be on E85, and double as the intercooler. No power goals, but hope to run at least 10.90s.
Ok just checking. e85 blowthru non intercooled works great! 10.90 should be a cake walk. I'm thinking 9.90's
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stumped1215
Ok just checking. e85 blowthru non intercooled works great! 10.90 should be a cake walk. I'm thinking 9.90's
9.90s would be awesome if at all possible, but I hope to have a cage in the car before I even think about single digits.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Bump. Driver side pipe tacked up, passenger pipe still has to be brought up to the merge. I have one 45 bend left for that. Maybe Wednesday's project. Either way, pics and hawhutnot.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

subscribed im really interested into lsx swapped fox's especially turbo!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Lookin good, I gotta check this out next summer when I get back to MN some weekend
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Killer build man....I really like white on white with the Cobra R wheels......so is that a real deal Gibson Les-Paul....? I'm a Strat man myself but love the Les Pauls to..... will be looking forward to seeing the final product...!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3/blowthru GT45 Notch Build