Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Switching from aftermarket HU to stock monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Switching from aftermarket HU to stock monsoon

I bought my car with an aftermarket head unit and speakers/'system' already installed from the previous owner. The setup was terrible so I yanked all the speakers and amp, put in some cheap 4x6 speakers that worked fine.

Problem is my head unit now drains the battery. I haven't used a multimeter to find which wire is the culprit yet but I hate the way it looks anyway and want the OEM setup.

My question is what do I need besides the stock head unit and speakers? Obviously some kind of wiring to the stereo but despite being mechanically inclined, I'm a complete novice with wiring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going back to stock the previous owner should of used a wire harness if so disconnect it and the oem unit is plug and play
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Launching!

I know who has a stock monsoon head unit that worked when taking it out of my car
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by insidethreat07
I know who has a stock monsoon head unit that worked when taking it out of my car
Except I'm sure he won't want to put a Camaro head unit in a Trans Am.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by newchevyman
My question is what do I need besides the stock head unit and speakers? Obviously some kind of wiring to the stereo but despite being mechanically inclined, I'm a complete novice with wiring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on what the previous owner left behind and how they installed the aftermarket head unit.

As astro11271984 mentioned, if the previous owner did a proper install using a harness adapter and left the Monsoon amp and wiring intact, then all you will need is a factory HU (easy to find used) and the correct speakers. I think the speakers have been discontinued by GM but our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods carry good aftermarket substitutes at reasonable prices.

If the previous owner took out the Monsoon amp, you can still get a used one fairly cheaply (just make sure you get an amp for the correct vehicle - Camaro and Firebird amps are different).

If the previous owner butchered the wiring, you could be in for a world of hurt. If it was just the connector at the head unit, Metra makes replacement connectors that can be used to repair that. But if the harness damage is more extensive (some fools actually pull out the entire harness) then you might want to reconsider rebuilding the Monsoon system - it will get expensive and time consuming. Your best option in that case would be to install a factory HU and just wire directly to new speakers (forgetting about using a Monsoon amp).
Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It depends on what the previous owner left behind and how they installed the aftermarket head unit.

As astro11271984 mentioned, if the previous owner did a proper install using a harness adapter and left the Monsoon amp and wiring intact, then all you will need is a factory HU (easy to find used) and the correct speakers. I think the speakers have been discontinued by GM but our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods carry good aftermarket substitutes at reasonable prices.

If the previous owner took out the Monsoon amp, you can still get a used one fairly cheaply (just make sure you get an amp for the correct vehicle - Camaro and Firebird amps are different).

If the previous owner butchered the wiring, you could be in for a world of hurt. If it was just the connector at the head unit, Metra makes replacement connectors that can be used to repair that. But if the harness damage is more extensive (some fools actually pull out the entire harness) then you might want to reconsider rebuilding the Monsoon system - it will get expensive and time consuming. Your best option in that case would be to install a factory HU and just wire directly to new speakers (forgetting about using a Monsoon amp).

I'm going to see if there is a harness adapter behind the head unit tomorrow or Friday and update the thread. I think the best route here is just to use an OEM Monsoon head unit and just regular speakers. I don't need the Monsoon amp for them to function, correct? Thanks for the detailed response, it's much appreciated!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Except I'm sure he won't want to put a Camaro head unit in a Trans Am.
Shoot I didnt even notice that lol My bad

Quick Reply: Switching from aftermarket HU to stock monsoon