Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E 1-2 shift in drive is weak

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E 1-2 shift in drive is weak

Car is a 33K mile 2001 Formula, recently installed a Yank SS3600 that works great. When in Drive (or 3rd) at WOT it does not shift hard at all. If you manually shift 1-2 at 90% throttle at 4000-5000 RPM it shifts firmer.

No mods to transmission except Tune and I trust the guy. We have other LS1 auto cars that shift extremely hard and I want this one to do it too. On the 2-3 shift mine is firmer. I am open to suggestions to pass to my tuner.

One of our other cars has a Yank SS4000 and slams 2nd gear. And this convertor (SS3600) which we bought new slammed 2nd gear in the other car I had it in first. The convertor only has 500 miles on it from new.

So any suggestions, do I just need a few parts/servo/adjustment? Strange to me that manually it is firm but in drive it is just normal.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2-4 band could be getting weak/worn...proper way would be to go in there and replace it along with the sunshell

Or, you "CAN" drop the pan, check the 2-4 band clearance with valvebody off, extend pin to tighten clearance, also remove 1-2 acc. housing , replace stock plastic 1-2 acc. with aluminum unit and STIFFER 1-2 spring, do not block it off....all this can be done with trans in the car...If the separator plate is in good shape, open up the 2nd gear feed hole to .090 and the 4th feed hole to .120

you will get a better 1-2 for sure...

Also want to add that MAF being dirty fro K&N oil can jack with transmission pressures, make sure its clean
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad, you know you know me, Aarons dad. Will you be at the track tmro, we'll be there. I know its possible, but with the low miles I doubt anything is worn out yet. If you have ideas pass them on to Shane please.

Last edited by 79TAKid; 10-23-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 79TAKid
Brad, you know you know me, Aarons dad. Will you be at the track tmro, we'll be there. I know its possible, but with the low miles I doubt anything is worn out yet. If you have ideas pass them on to Shane please.
Whats up Paul!! Unfortunately I won't be at the track, actually pulling a 60e out of a friends car and building it...he lost 2nd gear...hmmmm, lol . Most 60e's I get into have 80,000+ miles on them.. Whats the story on the other car, you say it hits 2nd alot harder, is that trans built? If so it might have the billet 2nd servo, those do hit hard installing that alone!!!..your oem corvette servo will be somewhat soft feeling with the 3600 stall, but that might be a good thing with the stock sunshell...

I have seen more broken shells, output shafts from harder 1-2 shifts vs just a nice bump...Thats how I setup the Rams 60E, just a good 2-4 band, and stiffer acc...shifts smooth at part throttle then a bump at WOT , hasn't missed a beat with even the nitrous hits.

Shane is very good with the trans tunes, I have talked to him before about what my builds would like as far as trans pressures and shift request times.

If you dont want to pull the trans and still want a bump on the 2nd gear shift the 1-2 acc. springs I have on hand for my builds work great with that aluminum piston..easy to install
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

silverz28camaro's advice is of course spot on.
You might also want to replace the seals in the servo. (I understand getting the servo out is difficult in your car).
GM often used a plastic piston in the 1-2 accumulator; it can crack, leak and make the 1-2 shift sloppy.

Quick Reply: 4L60E 1-2 shift in drive is weak