Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 Newb Need Some Help

Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 Newb Need Some Help

Hey I'm new to the LSX game so cut me a break if any of this seems ignorant...

I have a '66 Nova I am in the proces of restoring and I was planning on an LQ9 with a 5 or 6 speed. The thought was to get a complete motor out of a wrecked vehicle with the ECU and all accessories, then mate up an aftermarket trans to it.

I'm not quite in the need for a motor just yet, but this came up in my local CL and I don't want to miss a deal...

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/pts/3360647480.html

1.) Is this even a deal?

2.) What are the advantages of the LY6 over the LQ9 for an NA application?

3.)It worries me that this motor doesn't come with an ECU or the wiring harness or the gas pedal assembly, etc bc I simply do not know that much about the electronics on these engines... Is there a simple way to hook up one of these motors without having the original wiring harness/ECU?

I'm of the opinion that simpler is better, so if anyone can help me decide if this deal is for me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Brian
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has a lobe wiped out I'd assume it needs to be rebuilt and stay away from it. I bought my 39,xxx mile LY6with front accessories for $1700. I would check www.car-parts.com for motors first.

And for not having the ecu/harness...I' bought the Holley HP EFI kit that comes with the harness and a self learning ecu for $1400. I think it's a better option for those of us who are going to continue to modify in the future.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep your eyes open and do look at car-parts.com. I found my LQ4 on the site. With the Magnacharger, PCM, wiring and accessory brackets, delivered price $1100.00. No you won't find this everyday, but the deals are out there. GM keeps building these trucks and folks keep wrecking them so the supply is fairly constant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LY6 Newb Need Some Help