Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Transmission Conversion

Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Conversion

Over this winter im thinking of going from M6 to automatic. Just wondering if any of you guys have? If so what were the pros and cons and round about how much did it cost?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Cool

What makes you want a automatic i have a auto an been thinking about swapping to m6. But i like having the auto when i go to the track because its all ways a perfect shift every time and in town i don't have to keep shifting up an down a lot.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Just what you said better 60' and perfect shifts at the track.Although I like shifting when driving around the town.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

I contemplated doing this with my ls1 camaro. I even purchased all of the equipment to do it, after dropping over 4 grand in parts alone, I realized that after the hours or extensive labor involoved plus parts, it would be cheaper to just buy one already a M6 and sell the one I had. It is ALOT of work to do it and do it right, just my $0.02.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an extra set of the major hard to find parts, if you are interested send me a pm
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, the m6 is so much more fun. But if you like to track your car and be consistent, I'd stick with the a4. I love my manual, but want something more track friendly, so I decided to go with a 4L80 for my GN even after I'd already gotten a t56 for it.
The swap: My advice would be to find someone, possibly youra_joke, who's wanting to do the opposite swap and do them together at the same time. A buddy wanted to do the a4>m6 swap and our plan was to have both cars at my shop next to each other; when we took something out of one, it would go directly (if at all possible) into the other. But like SoutherSilverSpeed said, it's a lot of work. He ended up finding a 16k mile, m6, '06 SRM for $19k and got $17k in trade for 33k mile, a4, '06 TR. To him, the work associated with the swap was not worth it when he could cut his monthly payments down, and get into a one yr. only color car with half the miles of his. Just something to think about...
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Teching In

yeah that what everyone is telling me that its hard and prob not worth doing to just stick to my auto in my car because like i said i love the consistent time it puts down at the track
Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd either do that or sell yours and buy one with the standard trans. If you're not he ily into the mods already, now would be the time to do that.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I'm already way to far a long with mods to just sell or trade. At most I'm thinking 6k it couldn't be any more than that I think lol.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM

I'm thinking of swapping my A4 to M6 in my 2006. PM me if you may be interested in doing a parts swap.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 06SpiceRed
Just what you said better 60' and perfect shifts at the track.Although I like shifting when driving around the town.
Unless you live at the track i'd stick with the m6, a properly driven one can give an auto hell however if you really want the most out of your car and live at the track then go auto.
Originally Posted by youra_joke
yeah that what everyone is telling me that its hard and prob not worth doing to just stick to my auto in my car because like i said i love the consistent time it puts down at the track
The m6 will be faster than the auto unless you put a stall in it. I was going that route but I didnt want to take the driveability hit and mpg hit that comes with a big stall so I chose he m6 route. It may not be quite as consistent but i rarely go to the track, I like it for the fun factor.

I blew my auto up so my situation was a tad different but in the end my m6 swap cost me around 2k now thats with a used t56 however all the hydraulics and clutch were new. I just shopped around for good deals on the pieces I needed and picked them up when I found a good price. The clutch is a stock style so I will upgrade that soon but for now its working just fine and unless I told you the car was an auto you would never know by driving or looking at it. It is much more fun to drive now and gets better mpg than the auto did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Conversion