Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e help

my reverse went out and i dont no if i should rebuild it or just replace the sun shell. i have a 1994 lt1 with bolt-ons, 3.90 gears, header long tube, y-pipe, 58mm throttle body, underdrive pulley. looking for a tranny rebuild kit or should i buy a used one.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The most common Reverse problem is torn/worn teflon rings on the stator shaft. If the sun shell broke you have metal in the trans and you definitely need to rebuilt it, and likely have the converter cleaned, the trans cooler replaced and trans lines flushed.

IMO, any time a 10+ year old major part is removed, it should be rebuilt.

I don't know what years are compatible with a '94, but mostly pre '98. Do you really want to consider putting a used 15+ year old trans in your car? It takes a lot of effort and costs $$ to put even a free trans in your car. Then, if it does not work, all that time and money is lost. I would find a local (not chain) trans shop to rebuild it. Just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The most common Reverse problem is torn/worn teflon rings on the stator shaft. If the sun shell broke you have metal in the trans and you definitely need to rebuilt it, and likely have the converter cleaned, the trans cooler replaced and trans lines flushed.

IMO, any time a 10+ year old major part is removed, it should be rebuilt.

I don't know what years are compatible with a '94, but mostly pre '98. Do you really want to consider putting a used 15+ year old trans in your car? It takes a lot of effort and costs $$ to put even a free trans in your car. Then, if it does not work, all that time and money is lost. I would find a local (not chain) trans shop to rebuild it. Just my opinion.
^^^ Yup...

Quick Reply: 4l60e help