Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 valley cover and aftermarket valve covers help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS6 valley cover and aftermarket valve covers help!!

Due too winter starting soon and me getting the urge to go fast I've decided to build my ls1.. Not trying to sound like a noob but my ls1 would literally suck oil like no other.. most people recommend the LS6 valley cover (new) which I am going to get along with the catch can. A few things I wanted to know are what are the things I have to do to make it work (I heard some cutting of block was involved) Also since a new PCV system is located on the cover do I get rid of my current one. Also the valve covers I have came with no baffled openings at all What do I need to do to make these work with stock applications since on stock covers there is like 3 hoses connected to them. any that i can just delete? I'm also keeping the secondary air injection system on my car since my emissions are strict here. Thanks again for taking the time to look below are pictures of my valve covers.
Attached Thumbnails LS6 valley cover and aftermarket valve covers help!!-img_7254.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on what year block you have. 1168 blocks and some 01/02's you don't have to cut. If you have no ribs and it's smooth under the valley when you pull it, no cutting required. Of course, by the time you see that you'll clearly see there's no ear to cut anyway....

Yes, ditch the stock PCV system as a whole.

What LS6 valley did you get? The 04+ with the integrated PCV is what I would use. Couple that with a Norris Catch Can. Nipple from valley cover goes into the top of the can, and the clean side is the side nipple on the can. Run it into your nipple on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

And if those are eBay valve covers, I'd ditch them. I haven't heard of a success story yet; They've all leaked.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just get a pcv breather to mount where the oil fill cap goes on the valve cover; that's what I did with my GMPP valve covers.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Just get a pcv breather to mount where the oil fill cap goes on the valve cover; that's what I did with my GMPP valve covers.
I know it's done alot but I thought with a MAF system you need all fresh air in to be after the MAF so its metered air entering the engine. Are you speed density?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No, still running a MAFS. The breather
is connected directly to the throttle
body.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The secret I found with the tall aftermarket valve covers is to run the o ring gasket and rub a small even amour of "gasket maker" on the lip of the head.
Let the "gasket maker" set up a little, then put the valve covers on and run the bolts just snug...donor over tighten or it will make the top and bottom of the valve covers spread and not seal.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure it is the new style valley cover the part # is 12577927 and for the valve covers I'm pretty much fd because I already sold my old ones but other than a breather on the filler cap is there anything else I need? I have plenty of an fitting laying around in which to drill and weld on to the valve covers if I need to btw my block looks the this I can't remember or look since its currently at the machine shop since I'm going with a forged bottom end
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

The picture isn't working but my block is a late 01 it came with the ls6 intake
Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify ... the 04+ valley cover has a 1 mm dia orifice built into the PCV hose nipple that comes off the front RH corner of the valley cover. There was never an actual "valve" used in that design. There was simply a hose that ran from the valley cover nipple to the intake manifold nipple - no valve in the hose like pre-04s had. The 1 mm orifice is what controls the vapor flow in this case.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

so with the ls6 style valley cover I dont need and actual pcv valve i can just run it straight to my intake?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EAT-N-AIR
so with the ls6 style valley cover I dont need and actual pcv valve i can just run it straight to my intake?
Correct.

Quick Reply: LS6 valley cover and aftermarket valve covers help!!