Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really Stupid Question - Which oil (brand and weight) should I be running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Really Stupid Question - Which oil (brand and weight) should I be running?

I'm really embarrassed about asking this as I used to be incredibly into the forums and my vehicle several years ago. But, I moved 5 years ago and have barely touched it since. Having written nothing down about intricate things such as what oil I have been running, I have no clue what I've been using.

It desperately needs an oil change which I'll be doing tomorrow morning so I'm looking to get ideas of what I should be running. I searched for old threads started by me that included my engine spec's and found this thread here for reference:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-my-setup.html

What is everyone using these days that I can easily pick up from WalMart or PepBoys for an oil change tomorrow morning?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Aaand I'll also be needing to know which oil filter to run on this engine. I can't get under it to look at the moment but I remember something about a PN # 2006 or something? Does that sound right for this engine?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most run mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 the mobil extended life filter part number is m-107
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just found some Castrol 5w-40 in the garage that apparently I am either using currently or used at some point. My oil pressure sits pretty low at idle, around 25psi-ish. So, I think I was running the 5w-40 for the added pressure. But, of course, I can't specifically recall since it's been so long.

Should I be asking for a filter for a '99 LS1 or some other vehicle? I feel like the filters are different and I used to ask for an oil filter for an Escalade (or something that originally came with the LQ9).
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I just found some Castrol 5w-40 in the garage that apparently I am either using currently or used at some point. My oil pressure sits pretty low at idle, around 25psi-ish. So, I think I was running the 5w-40 for the added pressure. But, of course, I can't specifically recall since it's been so long.

Should I be asking for a filter for a '99 LS1 or some other vehicle? I feel like the filters are different and I used to ask for an oil filter for an Escalade (or something that originally came with the LQ9).
If Im not mistaken, the truck filters are bigger. I use the M1-107 that was mentioned before. I use it in both our 2000 and 2001.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I remember that I ask for a filter for an '02-era Escalade, or '99-era Silverado, with the 6.0 LQ9. Looking those up I get a K&N Filter PN# 2006, which is what I believe I was remembering. So, I think I've got the filter figured out. I can look under there tomorrow as well.

I guess I'll just pick up some Castrol Edge 5w-40, since I think I've been running that weight in the car.

I believe this engine takes 6 quarts of oil and no more, am I correct?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep 6 quarts but I usually buy a big jug which is 5.25 quarts and then a single one that way you have a little over 6 quarts...
Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, that sounds right. It's coming back to me a bit now...
Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Everyone is going to tell you a different oil. If you car is not crazy modified, any 5w-30 from Walmart will work. Conventional or synthetic. That matters on what you have used before. If you have only used conventional, then I would stick with that. Also, Walmart will have your filter. You will see a thick book of filter applications and under Chevrolet camaro you will find your year and the filter number. Last time I was at a Kmart they sold Purolators which is a good filter. Any filter but a Fram should be fine. All oils carried by Walmart will meet the standard our cars need. If your heads/cam I would stick with a mainstream oil like Mobil, pennzoil, castrol, etc. Also, if your psi is low, go back to 5w-30 and look at it often, if it is low again then go with a thicker oil. However 25 at idle is safe. I think rule of thumb is 7psi per 1000rpm. As long as it rises when you get into the gas, your all good.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Launching!

So just read your thread up top. Um you should probably run a really good oil. If you can spring for it, then amsoil is your best bet but its pricey. I still feel that any of those name brand synthetics will work. Also you should ask your engine builder what weight oil you should run. If you can't then experiment. I run 10w-30 in my 408. Hot oil has 40psi. Cold start is 65psi. When I lean into it it goes up to 65-70psi.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love amsoil and helped my shop become a dealer of it, I used to run 5w30 but my performance shop/old boss were I go to highly recommends 10w-30 Brad Penn (which is what the car used to take before I tried amsoil) , mostly cause of its high level of zinc for the cam and it's good performance. I'm at 40psi idle, cold start 65ish and fill throttle closer to 80. Just wondering if anyone else uses it and if it's a good oil, it's a semi synthetic I think ?

OP seems like you should be okay the car doesn't seem to be hindered from it. I personally just don't like Mobil 1 I think they just bought there customers with there sponsors not there oil quality.

Last edited by ZDER; 10-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like what I've been using should be fine. I have a ported/high volume oil pump so I should be fine even with lower oil pressure than some on here.

I would call the people who built my block (HPE) but apparently they are no longer in business. Their phone number is out of service. When did that happen? Did something go down with them? I'll have to research.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DGageSS
Everyone is going to tell you a different oil. If you car is not crazy modified, any 5w-30 from Walmart will work. Conventional or synthetic. That matters on what you have used before. If you have only used conventional, then I would stick with that. Also, Walmart will have your filter. You will see a thick book of filter applications and under Chevrolet camaro you will find your year and the filter number. Last time I was at a Kmart they sold Purolators which is a good filter. Any filter but a Fram should be fine. All oils carried by Walmart will meet the standard our cars need. If your heads/cam I would stick with a mainstream oil like Mobil, pennzoil, castrol, etc. Also, if your psi is low, go back to 5w-30 and look at it often, if it is low again then go with a thicker oil. However 25 at idle is safe. I think rule of thumb is 7psi per 1000rpm. As long as it rises when you get into the gas, your all good.
Great post DG.

If you just daily drive your car or hit the drag strip now and then, then any dino oil will do and a good filter. You can run 5w-30 or 10w-30 regular oil. I always put in 6 quarts (6.5 if I hit up a road course/HPDE).

The only way I would step up to 20w-40 is if you road race/HPDE your car, where the oil temps get above 250*F and you will want that thicker oil in there for added protection (thinner oil will get to thin for proper protection at this point).

Filters. Anything but Fram. Get AC Delco, Purolator or Bosche will do just fine.

Honestly, I run Valvoline 10w-30 dino oil in my car with a Purolator filter. If I end up doing HPDE or Road Course, I will switch to 20w-40.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're fond of WIX Filters, and want the truck one, the part # is 51522
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll probably just pick up a PureOne filter or something. I've been running K&N but I guess there's not much reason to since the oil changes are more based on how nasty the oil is getting from fuel dilution as compared to how many miles I put on it. I think I've put maybe 1000 miles on it over the past 2 or 3 years.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Wix filter and 5w-30 Royal Purple with some synthetic Luxas oil stabilizer added is what i run. Royal Purple is a really good high performance synthetic motor oil.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Shell Rotella T6 synthetic (5W-40) in both cars (has more zinc for wear protection). I was using Castrol (german) 0-30 synthetic and there is nothing wrong with it. Quite a few of the road racers on CForums use Rotella T6 syn. I use mobil 1 and K&N oil filters, truck filter on the 99.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 10-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was about to pick up the Rotella T6 jug as it was on special at Advance, but there were no singular quarts, so I would have had to buy two jugs. I ended up just picking up Castrol Edge 5w-40 and a PureOne filter.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would ignore specific recommendations from anyone not meantioning Used Oil Analysis.
DGageSS is correct about basically any appropriately rated API oil being good enough. If you want to go the extra mile though Used Oil Analysis is pretty cheap and MEASURES how an oil performs in your application.

Far as weight would be nice to assume 5w-30 is still right but with a built engine maybe the shop had a thicker oil in mind and opened up the bearing clearances.

If you like the idea of continuing to use the Castrol you have then just a couple thousand miles from now drop the $20-30 on having a sample analyzed and see what they say about the wear metal content and condition of the oil.

If you go to bobistheoilguy you can see meaningful technical discussions about oils and see what other folks are getting for used oil analysis results IN SIMILAR ENGINES rather than trusting the blind marketing loyalty that will dominate discussions here.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree that no one can tell me what specific oil runs best in my car, I was just looking for what the current most beloved oil was on the forum as there seems to always be one or another. I'm active into the oil scene for my other vehicles and am very familiar with BITOG.

I do UOA's all the time for my other vehicles. I just haven't had the access nor the time to get it done for this one. However, it's on the agenda. Once I get it shipped back to the other coast where I live and have a garage to store it, it will get a lot more attention. It needs a lot of maintenance.

Just got it all changed out and hot idle pressure is down a few psi to about 20 at idle where it was hanging around 25ish before. Eh. At least it's changed and no longer more parts fuel than oil.

Quick Reply: Really Stupid Question - Which oil (brand and weight) should I be running?