General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some suggestions

hey folks im looking into a 2002 z28 35th camaro.
its got 87k on the clock and its the special orange i cant think of the name
its got a 6 speed ive just seen pics but the car looks nice. guy says it drives good said its shows the 02 codes but another thing is that its got a rebuilt title. he said looks like front end wreck maybe he got it this way its got an ss hood on it. and he can tell where the paint is diff color on the hood. and thats the only spot on the car.

ive not looked at the car yet going this weekend but with the rebuilt title in texas. kinda has some concern of mine should i look at it or stay away?

please any help or suggestions would be great
Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where are you from? It might be more of a hassle than it's worth. Most states require an inspection if it is bought out of state, and even a more in depth inspection if it's rebuilt. Meaning you better have all the receipts from the repairs. Unless your getting a steal on the car, I would pass.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most ss hoods weren't an exact match because they were painted separately. It may have never been painted
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

i am from texas bww3588 and the car is aroundm y area within about 25 miles from here. guy says he drove it for a while has no issues with gettin inspection from what he says!

my only thing is with the title the way it is if i needed to trade it off.
to a carlot ever in the future then im screwed because its not allowed.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Rebuilts for a daily driver can be a can of worms for second owners if the rebuild was not done properly, i.e., fixing the problems instead of hiding them. If any problems do manifest themselves once you own the car, you have to live with 'em or fix 'em - there's no in-between.

I would drive the car on smooth then rough pavement both in your local neighborhoods and then on the Interstate to first see how well it drives, handles, as well as what noises (squeaks, rattles, etc.) you hear. I would have a local mechanic you trust put the car on a rack and really inspect it noting what repairs can be found and whether or not they were done properly. Base your purchase price offer on the mechanic's report.

If you do decide to go ahead with the purchase, make sure that all local/state required inspections are performed before you buy. Plan on keeping the car forever or selling it yourself in the future. If the car does turn out to be a lemon, you can always turn it into a race car or sell to someone who will.

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Well thanks for the tips folks
But I think ill pass on this deal
Because of the title

Guess ill continue looking
And see what else I find
I've got 5k cash I hope I
Can find a good camaro for that
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by CD82
Well thanks for the tips folks
But I think ill pass on this deal
Because of the title

Guess ill continue looking
And see what else I find
I've got 5k cash I hope I
Can find a good camaro for that
You are smart to pass.
Unfortunately $5,000 is not going to get you a good Camaro. Nice ones sell for much more. $5,000 will buy you nothing but a potential money pit. Even LT1 Camaros in good condition are rather tough to find for $5,000.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
You are smart to pass.
Unfortunately $5,000 is not going to get you a good Camaro. Nice ones sell for much more. $5,000 will buy you nothing but a potential money pit. Even LT1 Camaros in good condition are rather tough to find for $5,000.
That depends. Excellent condition lt1 cars are going for around 5k average around here. When I say excellent, think relevant to age. Clean, no major mechanical issues, good paint, tires, etc...

You can also pick up a good ls1 car for around the same price. My buddy bought a 98z this summer with 88k miles for 5800. It has some flaws in the paint and the clutch was shot, but overall decent.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
That depends. Excellent condition lt1 cars are going for around 5k average around here. When I say excellent, think relevant to age. Clean, no major mechanical issues, good paint, tires, etc...

You can also pick up a good ls1 car for around the same price. My buddy bought a 98z this summer with 88k miles for 5800. It has some flaws in the paint and the clutch was shot, but overall decent.
I use KBB condition quidelines. Those issues you mention ref the '98Z are not acceptable for a good condition example. It really isn't even in fair condition with that bad clutch because that's an expensive proposition for the average person. I understand that condition is subjective which is why I use KBB as a guideline on vehicle condition.Here is the GOOD:
Good:
54% of all cars we value meet this criteria. This car is free of major mechanical problems but may need some reconditioning. Its paint and bodywork may require minor touch-ups, with repairable cosmetic defects, and its engine compartment may have minor leaks. There are minor body scratches or dings and minor interior blemishes, but no rust. The tires match and have 50% or more of tread. It also has a clean title history, with some service records available, and will pass safety and smog inspection.

Quick Reply: some suggestions