LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Drag Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drag Bar

At what point will a drag bar help me? I'm predicting to be running 10.9-11.1 at around 120 next year and wondering if a drag bar will help or is it even needed at my power level. My sixty now is 1.5x, I will be changing to 3.90 gears, 4k stall, and a 4l80e over the winter. The car is lifting front wheels 6-8 inches now and was told the left front is a little higher. A drag bar is a fair amount of cash and don't want to waist it if it's not needed yet. OBTW I was going to post in the suspension arena but it says 97 and newer.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are definitely right around the times that we start to really recommend running a good anti-roll bar. You should also see some pretty decent 60ft gains form an anti-roll bar and the car will launch better and be more consistent.

Our new updated design is a bolt-on style that only requires a couples holes to be drilled. If you are interested in one of our BMR anti-roll bars let me know and I will see what I can do for you on one.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some bars are more forgiving than others. I hear the BMR extreme duty bar is decent on the street while something like the Wolfe is a bit less forgiving. I personally run the weld-in Wolfe bar and let me tell you this thing is the cat's ***. My car used to leave fairly unevenly but after adding the Wolfe it leaves dead-straight every single time. Both wheels come up about 8" and evenly. It's a bit of a bear on the street but it's definitely a worthwhile trade-off for the track performance, IMO. There's absolutely NO lateral movement between the rear and the body. If I had to do it again I'd go with the Wolfe.

However I am sure other folks will say the same things about the BMR. Either way it will certainly help in your situation.

EDIT: How ironic.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It's a bit of a bear on the street but it's definitely a worthwhile trade-off for the track performance, IMO. There's absolutely NO lateral movement between the rear and the body. If I had to do it again I'd go with the Wolfe.

However I am sure other folks will say the same things about the BMR. Either way it will certainly help in your situation.

EDIT: How ironic.
Not sure what you mean by a bit of a bear on the street?

That's funny, nice timing huh?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Not sure what you mean by a bit of a bear on the street?

That's funny, nice timing huh?
What he is saying is that the Wolfe anti-roll bar is so stiff that it isn't very street friendly. You will notice it turning and going over bumps and stuff like that. Our BMR anti-roll bar is a liitle more street friendly because we designed it to not only perform at the track but to have decent street manners. Most of our customers that have the anti-roll bar installed drive their vehicles on the street too without any issues.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Few years ago I bought an axle with a anti-roll attached and the endlinks then mounted to the chassis, kind of a non-traditional setup but I was buying it more for the axle than the antiroll. It definitely compromised ride quality on the street and then I broke it but that might have something to do with the weight of my car.

Might I suggest at least looking at stiffer swaybar, you are not looking for a massive change and a stiffer swaybar might be a good compromise. Do you have an Airlift bag in the right rear?

Do the f-bodies really need to lift the nose that much for just a 1.5 short time? Far as I know I have one tire come up maybe 3" or so and the other rarely lifts atall, but mine is a very different car and the rear suspension is a splayed 4-link not a TA setup.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i run the bmr xtreme bar..i love it......im running consistant 1.3x 60's on a 10' tire in a 3300lb car with it.......preload it a bit and car leaves dead straight and carries both front wheels 60' or so about 2 feet off the ground.........BMR FTMFW!!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Few years ago I bought an axle with a anti-roll attached and the endlinks then mounted to the chassis, kind of a non-traditional setup but I was buying it more for the axle than the antiroll. It definitely compromised ride quality on the street and then I broke it but that might have something to do with the weight of my car.

Might I suggest at least looking at stiffer swaybar, you are not looking for a massive change and a stiffer swaybar might be a good compromise. Do you have an Airlift bag in the right rear?

Do the f-bodies really need to lift the nose that much for just a 1.5 short time? Far as I know I have one tire come up maybe 3" or so and the other rarely lifts atall, but mine is a very different car and the rear suspension is a splayed 4-link not a TA setup.
A late model B-body is a much different animal than the F-body that's for sure but it even sounds like you could use an anti-roll bar on your car. By not launching evenly and twisting the chassis you are wasting energy that should be used to push the car forward. This is why you see an improvement in 60ft times when going to a good quality anti-roll bar. A street style aftermarket sway bar will only see a very minimal gain if any at the track and adding a air bag is nothing more than a band aid for not using an anti-roll bar.

Many of the anti-roll bars out there are solidly mounted to the chassis and rear end and this is what creates much of the bad ride quality that comes from other anti-roll bars. Our BMR anti-roll bar tends to be a happy medium between the solid mounted anti-roll bars and the more street oriented aftermarket sway bars.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Guess I should have said anti-roll bar not drag bar huh? Anyway that's the one I'm looking at currently, but does it really help 60' with my power level?

Currently I do not have an air bag, still stock original springs and shocks. I have LCA's and an adj TA that's it.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

I run a Wolfe drag bar on my 9in. As far as street manners go I didn't notice any difference after I installed it. Though that is probably because the spool already makes turning not that pleasant. Never got any accurate track times with it. The one time I had it at the track after I installed it I was having major clutch problems. Blew the motor up a week later. Lol. What I will say is that it looks ****** badass...

Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Guess I should have said anti-roll bar not drag bar huh? Anyway that's the one I'm looking at currently, but does it really help 60' with my power level?

Currently I do not have an air bag, still stock original springs and shocks. I have LCA's and an adj TA that's it.
You will definitely see an improvement 60ft-wise over what you have now. Another part you might want to do before the anti-roll bar is the LCA relocation barckets. They will allow you to put some more positive anti-squat into the car which will in turn put more pressure on the tire and help with straight line performance and traction.

What tires are you currently running on the car when you take it to the track?

Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You will definitely see an improvement 60ft-wise over what you have now. Another part you might want to do before the anti-roll bar is the LCA relocation barckets. They will allow you to put some more positive anti-squat into the car which will in turn put more pressure on the tire and help with straight line performance and traction.

What tires are you currently running on the car when you take it to the track?
Yes, LCA relos are coming with my Moser 12 bolt. I'm running MT drag radials.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
I run a Wolfe drag bar on my 9in. As far as street manners go I didn't notice any difference after I installed it. Though that is probably because the spool already makes turning not that pleasant. Never got any accurate track times with it. The one time I had it at the track after I installed it I was having major clutch problems. Blew the motor up a week later. Lol. What I will say is that it looks ****** badass...

Wow bro that looks crazy fast!!

Bet you cut some NASTY 60' with that race car
Old 10-26-2012, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yes, LCA relos are coming with my Moser 12 bolt. I'm running MT drag radials.
You are definitely on the right track with the car IMHO. I would definitely look hard at doing anti-roll bar in the near future because you are really getting to the point of needing one especially since you will have most of the other rear suspension stuff taken care of.

What shocks are you currently running on the car?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
What shocks are you currently running on the car?
Stock original w/88k miles.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Wow bro that looks crazy fast!!

Bet you cut some NASTY 60' with that race car
Awww yeaaa. Cuts 1.8s like a bauce!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Stock original w/88k miles.
That will also be something you want to look at. It will help the car transfer weight and apply pressure to the rear tires. I would have to say that it would be a toss up whether I would do an anti-roll bar or a good set of shocks first. A decent budget setup I have had a lot of luck with in the past are single adjustable Strange shocks on the front and Competition Engineering 3 way drag shocks on the rear. I have seen this setup go low 1.3 60ft times many times and do it consistently with all the supporting mods.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of trying a 3rd gen WS6 rear sway bar since it is 24mm and I already have one available. I'm also thinking about using the end link lengths to preload the right rear. Not as good as an aftermarket "drag bar" I'm sure, but it fits my budget and should offer an increase over the stock (21mm??) bar.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

A couple of before and after shots of my car with the stocker and the drag bar. Trust me its a matter of time before your car looks like the first pic with stock bar.

Stock bar.

I went from hanging one wheel in the air.

Drag bar.

To this carrying both wheels evenly.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Very cool^^ and a good point.

Quick Reply: Drag Bar