General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls3 starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ls3 starter

Hi guys last year my 10 year old stock starter crapped out, I bought one of the ebay knock offs as advance wants 170 for a rebuilt and a new delco is around 200 and change. Now its 10 months later and surprise surprise the ebay one is taking a crap....

I ran across a thread on here where a member used an ls3 starter on his project (l99/t56) in a c4 vette. The ls3 starter can be had brand new for 120 bucks from ac delco. Does anyone see an issue with running the stock ls3 starter? The connector pigtail is a little different but thats not a big deal. I'm just wondering if the mounting location and all would be the same?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last i knew the starters among all the chevy Gen 3 and 4 engines including marine engines all had the same mounting pattern and same nose cone. only difference was whether the bolt pattern, for the 2 bolts that hold the starter to the block, in the nose cone was straight across or staggered. I forget which is which, the starter in my 4 cyl on my boat is the same as on my 2002 LS1 except for the bolt pattern. and technically if you have a starter now you can take that nose cone off and put it on the new starter.
The starters are all PG260M. the length of the body/motor has varied, the longer ones are more powerful I think 1.4kw or 1.7kw. also the thing that usually craps out is the electromagnet solenoid on the starter. the armature and brushes and gears inside are basically bulletproof.

Quick Reply: Ls3 starter